Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

1st Gen Vortec 350 into 1989 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Gen Vortec 350 into 1989 Z28

Hey guys, new here, and completely new to the engine swapping game, so forgive me for any dumb questions or improper etiquette.

I got a 1989 Z28 last year for dirt cheap. Whoever had it before swapped an older Chevy 350 into it (from what I can tell, a 1981 out of a pick up) with a newer Edelbrock carburetor. It still has the 700 R4 Trans.

I'm looking to swap a Vortec 350 into it. They're everywhere where I live, and for basically pennies.

Now onto all my questions.

If I got a whole wrecked truck with the motor, transmission, and all accessories, could I just swap everything into the Camaro?

Would it be better to just use the motor and keep the 700 R4 transmission?

What's all this I hear about having to change the intake? Will the stock intake on the Vortec not work for some reason?

If I just use the motor will the ECM out of the Vortec work with it?

I know it's a ton of questions, I'm just trying to make sure I have a solid gameplan before I jump in and find myself over my head. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi
Re: 1st Gen Vortec 350 into 1989 Z28

I too am running a vortec in my '87 and yes you can swap the entire thing into your car and use the vortec ecm. I would run the entire package because that engine trans combo is managed entirely by that ecm. Unless the trans is out of a 4wd pickup then I would run the 700r4 or get a 2wd trans.

If you run an aftermarket hood then you can run the vortec intake, because it is too tall to fit under a stock hood. As for the accessories they might fit, but I put on an '88 serpentine drive.

Things to take note of though:

You will have to thin out the vortec harness of the emission stuff and reprogram the ecm if you are not going to make it emission legal.

The spider fuel injection harness can be taken apart and reworked to run eight separate injectors if you choose to use a different intake base.

Vortec engines of that era don't have the typical timing marks on the balancer. There are either one or two marks and a single mark in the distributor. This is because the motor has a cam position sensor to dictate spark timing.

There are a ton of youtube videos out there on these kinds of swaps so do some research and it will shed some light on what I've been talking about.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:38 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

Are you trying to add EFI, or are you trying to upgrade the motor?

If it's just about the motor, and you don't mind keeping the carb, all I'd really swap would be the vortec heads. Definitely an upgrade, assuming your current heads aren't aftermarket parts. you'd also need a new intake manifold that will fit vortec heads, but they're cheap. Not a bad time to do a cam swap either if ya want, but he stock truck cam isn't the one you want.

If you want to upgrade from carb to EFI, my first question would be to ask if the stock wiring harness is still there. If so, you really just need to just source a few parts and sensors, do some reading, and hook it up. You WILL need to tune it, but that'll be the case with your current motor OR the vortec motor anyway.
If the factory harness is NOT there, you'll need a new harness and computer. Sounds like the vortec motor has all that, but if I was going to do a complete engine, trans and engine management system swap in 2017, no way I'd use a 25 year old system. I'd go aftermarket or LS. No doubt. No doubt at all. Aftermarket will be pricey, so if it were ME.....I'd go 5.3 engine, trans and engine management all day long. No doubt.

The LS swap issues are:
engine mounts - which is pretty easy with the motor already out! ....computer-which you're talking about doing with the vortec motor anyway
trans...which again, you're already talking about doing anyway
...and fuel, which is pretty much a matter of adding the proper pump, which you may very well already have in tank.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 392 Likes on 335 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

Originally Posted by Abubaca
Are you trying to add EFI, or are you trying to upgrade the motor?

If it's just about the motor, and you don't mind keeping the carb, all I'd really swap would be the vortec heads. Definitely an upgrade, assuming your current heads aren't aftermarket parts. you'd also need a new intake manifold that will fit vortec heads, but they're cheap. Not a bad time to do a cam swap either if ya want, but he stock truck cam isn't the one you want.

If you want to upgrade from carb to EFI, my first question would be to ask if the stock wiring harness is still there. If so, you really just need to just source a few parts and sensors, do some reading, and hook it up. You WILL need to tune it, but that'll be the case with your current motor OR the vortec motor anyway.
If the factory harness is NOT there, you'll need a new harness and computer. Sounds like the vortec motor has all that, but if I was going to do a complete engine, trans and engine management system swap in 2017, no way I'd use a 25 year old system. I'd go aftermarket or LS. No doubt. No doubt at all. Aftermarket will be pricey, so if it were ME.....I'd go 5.3 engine, trans and engine management all day long. No doubt.

The LS swap issues are:
engine mounts - which is pretty easy with the motor already out! ....computer-which you're talking about doing with the vortec motor anyway
trans...which again, you're already talking about doing anyway
...and fuel, which is pretty much a matter of adding the proper pump, which you may very well already have in tank.
I am not a fan of the 5.3 NA they are DOGS even with head and cam work. A vortec 350 truck engine with a LT4 Hotcam and a decent port fuel injected intake runs very well and will make alot more torque way sooner than a 6.0L much less a 5.3. Unless you want to rev it to the moon the 350 will run better and have all the grunt you need on the street. They are also way cheaper to build and a much easier swap.

I have done an 0411 swap with the 24x coil per cylinder ignition on a Vortec and it responded very well.

Last edited by Fast355; 06-25-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:16 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

I am not a fan of the 5.3 NA they are DOGS even with head and cam work. A vortec 350 truck engine with a LT4 Hotcam and a decent port fuel injected intake runs very well and will make alot more torque way sooner than a 6.0L much less a 5.3. Unless you want to rev it to the moon the 350 will run better and have all the grunt you need on the street.
eeeeehhhhhhhhhh, I'm gonna disagree with this statement. I'm not an expert, and I'm not gonna cite anecdotal evidence. I would urge the OP to delve into his options a little deeper via search and google.

They are also way cheaper to build and a much easier swap.
I'll agree with this, although easier depends on what you know and are comfortable with. Overall though yes I'll agree and say it's easier. ...and certainly cheaper.