South Central Region Board for the states of Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisana.

Newb from San Antonio Tx

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI with zz4 heads
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt BW
Re: Newb from San Antonio Tx

aaaaaaaaaaah!!!!! almost done i just need a radiator fan switch and slap the intake back on and done wooot wooot!!!
Old 11-10-2010, 07:42 PM

Car: 91 CAMARO RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: AUTOMATIC

This post is completely late, but I take advantage of my autozone card now. I always had one but would never have it with me, or something. But now I plan my purchases, and keep track of everything. You can only recieve credit for over 20$ purchases once a day. Now instead of going in there and buying everything at once I brake it up to get my credits. I have purchased a heater core/ and plugs for almost free in a two weeks time saved me 60$. Anyhow something to think about
Also you seem pretty secure about inspection, I had a shop for the past 3yrs but now it seems a little sketchy it took alot to get my last sticker not sure about next time around. I have pulled my entire smog system and I havnt had a cat for two yrs, maybe you could guide me in the right direction I would appreciate it. And im thinking about making my own projectors not sure how that will work with inspection either.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:55 PM

I just know ppl my truck before this car had no horn no cat broken speedo no mud flaps and broken seat belt meh to inspections
Old 11-10-2010, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 Camaro Z28/ 87 Camaro IROC Z28
Engine: 5.0L TPI LB9 / 5.0 TPI LB9 w/cam
Transmission: Built 700R4 with Transgo shift kit
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt Posi/ 2.73 10 bolt Posi

I take advantage of Pep Boys rewards. I have them price match Autozone or whatever the place with the best price is, and get the better quality part from Pep Boys.

I dont trust the quality of the parts from Autozone anymore. The nicest things I have bought from them were the Performance Friction Carbon Metallic brake pads with a lifetime warranty (which they dont offer with lifetime anymore) and the rebuilt CS144 alternator with a lifetime warranty. I could see buying some things from them, like name brand distributor components (like Wells) or Borg Warner and some other brand other than Duralast.

The heater cores, radiators, rebuilt starters, and suspension components have all been pretty crappy. Whatever you do, do not buy rotors from them.

However, I do agree with taking advantage of their rewards program. Getting discounts is always a good thing. I know a couple places to take your car for inspection. PM me for more info.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:42 PM

this is not the first vehicle i build up so I know what not to buy from crap o zone lol for the important parts i do either NAPA or O'reily

this is the truck i built...sold it to built the iroc

Last edited by Pab's; 11-10-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:05 PM

Car: 1989 Trans am

There's a place where you basically just drive up, show your insurance, and you're good.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt disc / 3:27

Originally Posted by Lucid
Whatever you do, do not buy rotors from them.
I bought my new rotors from irotors on line got a pretty good deal on some cross drilled and slotted rotors for my car all for around 175... front and rear
Old 11-12-2010, 09:56 AM

not a bad deal....im really not trying to skimp on parts if im going to rebuild this car its gonna be done right....i could have easily just used the old heads instead of going out and getting some aluminum heads but i want this to be my daily driver for the next couple of years
Old 11-12-2010, 12:18 PM

Car: 91 CAMARO RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: AUTOMATIC

Originally Posted by Lucid
I take advantage of Pep Boys rewards. I have them price match Autozone or whatever the place with the best price is, and get the better quality part from Pep Boys.

I dont trust the quality of the parts from Autozone anymore. The nicest things I have bought from them were the Performance Friction Carbon Metallic brake pads with a lifetime warranty (which they dont offer with lifetime anymore) and the rebuilt CS144 alternator with a lifetime warranty. I could see buying some things from them, like name brand distributor components (like Wells) or Borg Warner and some other brand other than Duralast.

The heater cores, radiators, rebuilt starters, and suspension components have all been pretty crappy. Whatever you do, do not buy rotors from them.

However, I do agree with taking advantage of their rewards program. Getting discounts is always a good thing. I know a couple places to take your car for inspection. PM me for more info.
My girls dad was just telling me about Pep Boys price match and rewards program a few weeks ago so I signed up with them also. Its funny theres a Pep Boys and a Autozone right next to one another by my house. Im always stopping by one and then the other to get a better deal. Now it will be the other way around. Pep Boys has alot of stuff Autozone doesnt especially in the back past all the flashy crap. Ya I wont be trying to find bolts and nuts, clips, push pins at home depot anymore as PB has a large selection with a sizing chart available. But for the most part they are way over priced on alot of other things thats why I jumped on that price match also now I will be at PB more often.
Also I recently bought a spectrum heater core from autozone and a duralast gold cap and rotor. I checked both and compared to more expensive ones. I noticed that they were of same construction and build quality. Just wondering what your experience was because I dont mind paying for quality but I dont like paying for a name. As the duralast gold was better built as the accel but had a 5yr warranty compared to 3months. Im not comparing to high performance race products though of course. I know anythings better than a stock heater core as those things are always throwing up on the passenger floor board as mine did. But now you have me concerned a little of my spectrum heater core.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:23 PM

The heater core I bought from them developed a leak within a few months after I had it installed. I dont remember what brand it was, but it sucks paying good money to have labor performed only to have the part crap out so quickly.

I bought some economy tie rods and they wore out within a few months.
The car now has TRW suspension parts in it because I made the sales guy show me different tie rods and I compared the "quality". I did notice that the TRW tie rods were much beefier and more solid than any of the other brands, even Moog. To me, this means that it should last longer and hold up better when I drive it. The TRW parts have not disappointed me.

It seems to be a luck of the draw what quality of part you are going to get. The SI series alternators I had from them would die after 8 months on the dot. They got tired of me replacing them and gave me my money back. I turned around and bought a CS144 alternator from them, and it hasnt failed yet. They were all Duralast rebuild alternators.

Duralast is probably made by a bunch of different companies, so their quality is going to vary depending on who makes the part.

Pep boys is the same way, they have cheap economy stuff and then they have the name brand stuff.

You pay for what you get.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:15 PM

yup pretty much and even some name brands are genericly made but they offer good warranties...

Right now Im in search of a battery was gonna buy an optima but their too expensive and so are the interstate im thinking of getting a bosh from pep boys
Old 11-12-2010, 10:40 PM

I have a Optima Red Top, they are damn good batteries. The other car has a battery from Walmart, they are like $50 but when they go bad they replace them even if you dont have a receipt, as long as they have a date sticker.

I think Walmart batteries are made by Exide or possibly Interstate. I dont think there are too many companies that rebuild batteries. The other company that I have heard that makes batteries is Johnson Controls.

Bosch branded batteries are made by Exide for Pep Boys:
http://tinyurl.com/2g5ny5p

Stay away from Super Start batteries from Oreillys, they suck @ss

Edit:
It appears that Johnson Controls got the contract for all the batteries for walmart
http://www.jsonline.com/business/83454852.html

Companies that make other brand batteries:
http://www.galttech.com/research/car...ar-battery.php

Last edited by Lucid; 11-12-2010 at 10:45 PM. Reason: update
Old 11-12-2010, 10:44 PM

yeah thats what it had and when i pulled it today to get it charged i saw the yellow sticker that said BAD **** swapped batteries on me lol

yeah i knew exide made the bosh they come with a 3 yr warranty thats good enough for me called pep boys and they quoted me 80 bucks....compared to 160 on an optima
Old 11-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 355 TPI
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt disc / 3:27

difference is that the optima battery is completely sealed and you will NEVER have to fill the damn thing with distilled water like you do all the other batteries you get from whatever part store and whatever maker... plus you can mount the optima upside down where ever you want so if your modifying a lot and wanna move the batt its a good choice... for a daily driver i usually try to find whatever battery has the longest free replacement and go with that usually ends up being a duralast gold which i haven't had a lot of bad luck with but with any parts store its the luck of the draw. Furthermore i find that if you find that one guy behind the counter who actually knows what the hell he is talkign about it makes a HUGE difference... I've had guys swear to me my car shouldn't have disc brakes in the rear but it does and its stock for my year car straight off the rpo codes on the door but because their computer says it does they go along with it. I have one guy i go to for example at NAPA who i can bring a part, set it on the counter, and he will walk in the back and bring me the best replacement or it without looking it up... which btw has its denefits. I have used the spectrum heater core and many others and found that proper installation is key. tearing the dash apart and trying to slide that puppy in there don't cut it. Last time i did it i took the whole thing to the firewall rather than try n fight those top two bolts and try to wedge it in there... you break plastic that way which apartently the guy who owned my car before me figured out. I had to break it all down and replace all that damaged plastic.. took me like 4 hours... On the other hadn like i tell everyone who wants to build any car or modify it... you gotta know what you want to do with the car first before you decide what to do to it. Slapping bolt ons isn't the best bet which i'm sure everyone knows. Since you wanna daily clean driver.. clean her up and work on handling and detail work...
Old 11-13-2010, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by DrewsCam
I have used the spectrum heater core and many others and found that proper installation is key. tearing the dash apart and trying to slide that puppy in there don't cut it.
I had it installed by my mechanic, one of the few people I let go with a wrench anywhere near my cars. He is one of those guys that can work on something and the car drives better after he works on it. I have seen him work on a my buddy's Dodge Stealth numerous times, my Camaros, a Mustang, Thunderbird, chevy truck, BMW, Rendezvous and a Mercedes. These are just the cars we have brought to him. I doubt it was installer error.

I like the Optima batteries, but I do agree that they are very overpriced. On the other hand, I can park my car for a month without starting it and jump in it and it will start right up. Every once and awhile, Advance Auto Parts will run a rebate on them and you can get a good price break.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:27 PM

Im contemplating headers i dont know if going with the headman's or saving up and get the dyno don's its 250 compared to 750 i just dont know if the performance justifies the extra $500 any input
Old 11-21-2010, 03:29 PM

well figured i would post a small vid just for fun here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g49xG6Vhc4g
Old 11-21-2010, 03:35 PM

Sounds good, no white smoke at all.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:42 PM

No sir Im gonna make sure this car run's good with my last build (the tan truck) I cut some corner's and found out that in the long run that cost more so Im doing this the right way
Old 12-05-2010, 05:08 PM

Just a little update the car is now in time and it runs great....needless to say I will need tires soon
Old 01-19-2011, 10:13 AM

Well about time i up date Ive LEGALLY been driving the car around for the last couple of days. Also changed out the parking lights and all the bulbs up front, here's some pics (also removed the front license plate)

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Last edited by Pab's; 01-19-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:23 AM

When are we all gonna go for a cruise?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Originally Posted by Pab's
When are we all gonna go for a cruise?
Come up & join us for the State Gathering.....

http://www.thirdgenroundup.com/
Old 01-19-2011, 10:33 AM

oh heck yeah may.....Ill have to check with my chain of command but I think Ill be up for it!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 rs, 86 Trans Am
Engine: RS-V6... Trans Am-LG4
Transmission: RS-T5... Trans Am 700r4

Hey pabs, nice car! Love the grey (obviously) if you ever are thinking of a nice set of polished iroc wheels, let me know. I have an extra set, and I could bring them to you in May.

Glad you're coming, it will be great having another grey car there!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:41 AM

well I checked my local board and seems that there has not been a meet since july so I started a thread for a meet 3 weeks from now, hopefully more than 5 ppl show up

http://sa3go.proboards.com/index.cgi...ead=719&page=1
Old 01-20-2011, 09:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Engine: None
Transmission: None

There will probably never be one. Everyone has either sold their car or never wants to go out. I've lost interest in trying to get things going but you can only do so much. Good luck in your adventure of trying!!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Supreme Member

I was wondering what happened to the SA crowd. Im sure the Austin guys will take you into the fold, and of course, the State gathering isn't that far from you (relatively)
Old 01-20-2011, 09:23 PM

No its not far but we should not just do it once a year when I see 3rd gens driving around all the time
Old 01-30-2011, 03:29 PM

Car: 1989 Trans am

I see a bunch of thirdgens driving around too. My cars almost legal, it just needs the inspection. But its being a little B***h, I replaced the carb and the idle was too high, I then replaced the plugs,wires,cap, and rotor and now it takes a few tries to start it . The timing seems fine but I'm not too sure. It's really starting to annoy me, I'd like to drive it around but it won't let me :l
Old 01-30-2011, 03:43 PM

yup took me a few weeks to get my car going. Im about to get some goodies so it will be down for a bit again
Old 01-31-2011, 09:23 PM

Car: 1989 camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: t5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 308

Hey did they ever have that san antonio meet?I am from san antonio too Its been a while but I finally got my camaro running again and I was wondering if anyone ever came threw.So what are your new plans for your camaro?
Old 01-31-2011, 11:07 PM

Nothing too wild but ill post it when it gets done

As far as the meet no nothing happened yet but I'm sure a few of us can get together for some beers
Old 02-02-2011, 12:05 PM

ok so before the weather brought the suck I did a little work on the ROC so It could get a bit more air.....

That last pic with the hole, I drilled that out just to allow a bit more airflow from the fog light dam.
Its a bit noticeable on the highway seems to have more pick up
Old 02-02-2011, 04:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Currently have 3 cars and 1 truck.
Engine: 1970&92 Cams,both BBC's
Transmission: LS1 T-56 & PG w/vendor's
Axle/Gears: Built 10 bolt& 9inch w/spool

I tried to register on this site(s.a. 3rd gen proboards forum), it wouldnt let me use my user name. Maybe thats why such a weak response.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 92 BBC Z
I tried to register on this site(s.a. 3rd gen forum), it wouldnt let me use my user name. Maybe thats why such a weak response.
If you chose a Username that someone else is already using, that is just the norm for any website. Just gotta pic a unique name that nobody else is using.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Currently have 3 cars and 1 truck.
Engine: 1970&92 Cams,both BBC's
Transmission: LS1 T-56 & PG w/vendor's
Axle/Gears: Built 10 bolt& 9inch w/spool

I dont believe that there is another 92 BBC Z in SanAntonio on this same site, but in any case I treid several different names, and no luck.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Supreme Member

Lucid is an admin on that board, and he's already posted on this thread. I bet he can help you
Old 02-02-2011, 07:17 PM

Yup I would pm lucid hopefully we can resurrect the site
Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 PM

Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 350 5.7L TPI

Hey man, I'd be down to meet you guys in SA. Maybe you could get a crowd together and meet up at the Hooters in Selma!!!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:53 PM

Let's do it!!!!!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:43 PM

Hey Im thinking of LT header's what do you guy's think about the Hedman 68460

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-68460/
Old 02-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Supreme Member

hey pab's... you see you got a caravan buddy for the roundup?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Banned

If it is a track-only car, go for it. Long tubes won't pass state inspection legally. If you have a hook-up to bypass state law....You can, but I still wouldn't do it. Scrape city, if the car is lowered on the street.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:54 PM

58Mark- NO what do you mean?

Stephen-You think so? I've asked a couple of ppl and its not that bad
Old 02-13-2011, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by 92 BBC Z
I dont believe that there is another 92 BBC Z in SanAntonio on this same site, but in any case I treid several different names, and no luck.
There is nothing in the settings on our boards that prevents anyone from signing up. Try a different browser and see if you can get it to work, i.e. if you
are using Internet Explorer, use Firefox.

I just looked in the logs and I don't see any problems showing in there.

Your username cannot contain any spaces or cannot be hyphenated. I bet that's why you are getting an error.

"You may only use alphanumeric characters (A-Z and 0-9) in your username and it must be between 1 and 18 characters long."
Old 02-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Banned

Oooops! There was another thread from a guy in Houston this post was supposed to go. So I Edited it & erased it.

Sorry Pablo!

Last edited by Stephen; 02-14-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:17 PM

Huh?
Old 02-13-2011, 11:25 PM
Banned