South East Region Regional Board for South East Members.

Southeast Third Gen Gathering

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 12:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TPI conversion.
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi 4th gen rear
Southeast Third Gen Gathering

We all seen festivals, gatherings, and reunions relating to thirdgens in Illinois, Texas, and out west. It has been talked about but no one has really put a foot down and got this ball rolling.
I would really like to see a third gen gathering of some sort in the southeast area. somewhere central to attract as many cars. Id like it to be a two day event at the least. Maybe get it hosted through Summit in Georgia, Hawks in South Carolina,
Is there anyone with ideas suggestions or connections to make this event happen?
Im in the Savannah area and there are quite a few thirdgens in our area.

Im interested in some feedback on this.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 91 Z28, 91 Z28, 92 Z28
Engine: LB9, LB9, L98
Transmission: T5, T5, 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:42, 3:42, 3:23
Re: Southeast Third Gen Gathering

I know a few in East Tn that would love to see an event like this!
Old 02-18-2018, 07:47 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

I'd do my best to attend.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6

I'd attend. I would help as much as I can as well.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 6.0 LS
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70

subbed
Old 02-19-2018, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Firebird, 89 Trans Am
Engine: 406, LB9
Transmission: T56, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Torsen, 2.73 Posi

I'm interested
Old 02-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 90 Formula
Engine: 305
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt/3.27

Definitely interested.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:43 AM

My 2 cents....take it or leave it, by no means am I making policy.

First and foremost, someone has to put it together, and we have to choose a location. Geographically the two need to kinda go together. I'd hate to try and organize something 5 hours away from where I am. I think western SC or GA seems to make sense. That's several hours from me for the record, so I'm not trying to be biased. While I'm not committing to it (Have to talk to my wife) I'd consider leading the charge, but it's gonna be close to home. That means central NC. Not terrible for a SE gathering...but not ideal I think.

Second, I think we all need to be realistic about the event. ALL these annual events start small. With several hundred cars, sponsors, catered food from multiple vendors, spectators, drag and autocross events are all involved, you can easily plan multi-day events. If I'm driving 5+ hours, and assuming I/we all have to work Monday AM, you'd be hard pressed to keep people very long on Sunday. -Again, just my 2 cents, but here's what I've kinda thought about. trust me, I've thought about doing this before.

-----Pick a middle of the road hotel. Nothing overly expensive, but not some ghetto, no-tell, MO-tel either. Most of us roll in that Friday afternoon or evening. We have a make-shift parking lot gathering, order pizza or grab some Mcdonalds, and we just shoot the breeze until too late Friday night.
-----Then Saturday AM you start the official event around 10. Gives some folks who couldn't make it Friday a chance to get into town, plus you don't have to rush to get there first thing. Plus, you can run the event up 'til dinner time without spending 10+ hours in a parking lot in the sun. Anyone who's ever done Charlotte Autofair knows that getting up at 5am, and leaving the track around 5pm is tough.
-----Give everyone a couple hours back at the hotel, and then plan dinner around 7.
-----Either some sort of catered event like having a bbq joint smoke a pig in the hotel parking lot if there's room, or we find a place with a big parking lot and cruise over there. I like bbq because it's quick and cheap. Sit down restaurants become a nightmare with large groups. I used to organize our Autofair trips for Triad F Body, and we finally gave up with the group restaurant runs. TOO MUCH HASSLE. K.I.S.S Keep it simple stupid. Something were we can go inside, grab food, and come back out to the cars in the parking lot. ...then of course, afterwards, informal hours in the hotel parking lot are inevitable.
-----Finally, we plan a last hooray in the Biscuitville parking lot at 8am, and then everyone rolls out on their own schedule.

I love the big events, with planned dinners, tours of speed shops, an evening of go-karts after dinner, etc. etc. ....these are all great, but they take a LOT of planning, and often times a fairly extensive financial investment on the hopes of LOTS of people.

....honestly, how many people do we think we'll have? I think 25 people would be cool. 50 would be a huge success. Maybe somewhere in the middle? Trust me, these things start small, and they start simple.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-19-2018, 10:47 AM

FWIW, Tony....not trying to steal your thunder. If your intent was to take charge BELIEVE me it's all you brother! ....I was just saying that if no one wanted it I might be able to help.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Abubaca
FWIW, Tony....not trying to steal your thunder. If your intent was to take charge BELIEVE me it's all you brother! ....I was just saying that if no one wanted it I might be able to help.
Your not stealing thunder. were good. we seem to be on the same page. The idea at first is to see who would be interested, where and when. I would consider taking point but that would also keep me close to home. Im familiar with the Savannah area and would select the ideal location around here.
However i dont think that would be central for the majority. I agree more Western Ga. or S.C would be best. I know we have Hawks, Summit Racing and a few other places out there that may be an idea. For example, Summit is off I75, outside Atlanta, and a few miles from an exit with hotels, outlet malls, and restaurants.
A state park for the day where we can bring out a few grills and cater out would be good. There all over the place
I havent hit the facebook pages much about it and eventually will. Here on TGO i we can easily review each others comments and ideas.
If it seems there is enough interest we can figure out the pointman, date and location.
If 25 show up that would be good. Id like to get as many as we can.
Does anyone else have an idea for location or date? How far would you all travel?
Old 02-20-2018, 08:46 AM

It would be cool if we could actually have it AT Hawk's or Summit. -if for no other reason than for a parking place!!!! -although I like the park idea too. That's something I had considered as well. Didn't one of the other gatherings recently get together at Heidt's?

As for travel, 5 hours give or take is kinda my range, lol.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6

The Gathering in Atlanta is 8hrs from me and I have been there several times. The last time took me 12hrs. I'd say 12hrs would be my limit.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:57 PM

The F Body Gatherings were fun. Went to 8, 9 and 10. Looked forward to going back a few years later, but saw '10/Zeta cars, vettes, other LS platforms.....Bah.....not for me. Too much smug. Wish (if it ever comes back) it'll be just REAL F bodies, gen 1 through 4. I think GreenGrey, Redraif and a few others were there when Scott Settlemeyer told us the "new" camaro wouldn't have T tops because GM was targeting a different demographic. ....there was an awkward silence and we all kinda looked around at each other like.... "did he just say what I think he said? ...HERE!?"
Old 02-20-2018, 09:11 PM

The Fbody Gathering is ended. I was at most of them and parked with the TGO group. I can call Hawks or Summit and see what we can do.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 1991 RS
Engine: LB9 LO3
Transmission: 5 speeds

As far as timeline goes, I think early spring or mid to late fall would be best. Southern summers are brutal as far as heat and humidity go. It’s tough to sit in an asphalt parking lot in summer heat. It’s magnified when you bring the wife and/or kids. I’m definitely interested!
Old 02-20-2018, 10:17 PM

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Automatic

I'm in. I met Tony at a Summit Racing car show, great guy!
Old 02-20-2018, 10:19 PM

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Transmission: Automatic

What about meeting up at Autorama this year at Atlanta motor speedway? We can get our own section and that knocks out a lot of legwork. It is April 28 and 29 this year. If you have never been it is awesome! Got to drive the GTA around the track and met Lou Santiago last year!

Forgot to mention they have an autocross course

Last edited by Jbuchanan; 02-20-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z

The F-Body Nationals 2018 is scheduled for September, 2018, in Memphis. I know that west Tennessee isn't anywhere near Savannah, GA., but maybe a weekend road trip? The 2017 event was the inaugural event and I would expect the one in 2018 will bigger as far as participants, vendors and others. I thought I'd just put the info out there for anyone interested in Camaros/Firebirds. I know of at least one third gen that will be there; mine!

https://fbodynationals.com/
Old 02-21-2018, 10:28 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Z28
Engine: LS1
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt

You know I'm in and will do whatever is needed especially if it is around Atl.

^^I have not been to autorama, but weather that or another central already large car show, that might not be a bad idea to START out with. Then we can spit ball from there. There is probably way more planning than is realistically possible to get something done this year.

Travel for me depends on if I can ever stop spending money on the car and buy a trailer. It gets less and less highway friendly as the time goes, but I'm sure I can figure something out if need be.

Keep in mind some of the other events going on as well. You do have All gen doing a Summit show (all be it just a short afternoon show), The Beach Bash up in Myrtle that Hawks is a big sponsor of, LS Fest in Kentucky and I think Dave and them have a Daytona show they are doing now?

Part of the issue with the Gathering was there are no real car places around there to do anything. Most of the bigger shows like beach bash and stuff have auto x and other stuff goin on. In this day and age everyone can talk to each other and see cars on the internet, most are probably going to show up for stuff to actually do with the cars. But to Abubacas point that requires more coordination and planning..
Old 02-21-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Detroit Speed is just north of Charlotte. They've been known to host events and they're starting to push 3rd gen parts.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:48 PM

You do have All gen doing a Summit show (all be it just a short afternoon show),
You know, if we all stay at the same Hotel... -we'd have a makeshift meet and greet in the parking lot Friday PM, then we could cruise to breakfast. Be lazy for a few hours.....roll to the show together.....then hang out in the parking lot AGAIN Saturday night. When we rolled 20 and 30 deep into Charlotte AutoFair twice a year, the relaxed parking lot atmosphere was almost more fun that the show. ...if the Summit guys knew we were all coming, I'm SURE they'd set aside parking so we could park together. -might be something to that.

Detroit Speed is just north of Charlotte. They've been known to host events and they're starting to push 3rd gen parts.
They might be selling....but they sure aren't pushing, LOL!! Blew me off TWICE! ...even after reaching out to their rep here on TGO! Still, if they sponsor something, I'd be happy to roll down there. Close to me too!
Old 02-21-2018, 07:44 PM

i see potential ideas here.

1. the autorama Jbuchanan mentioned in April 28-29. Atlanta Motor Speedway. we can get our own area to park and it is a large event. we can have a meet and greet the night before and night of at a hotel in the area.

2. the fbody show at Summit racing sept. 23. its a saturday event and hotels, food and an outlet mall is the next exit over. good area for room, food and meet and greet.

3. still set our own date and location. still like the idea of hawks summit detroit speed or even Year One..
Old 02-21-2018, 08:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 6.0 LS
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70

were also having our F body event in May at MIR. May 3-5. we do AX, RR, DR, and car show.

http://www.fbodyevent.org

Originally Posted by MemphisIROC
The F-Body Nationals 2018 is scheduled for September, 2018, in Memphis. I know that west Tennessee isn't anywhere near Savannah, GA., but maybe a weekend road trip? The 2017 event was the inaugural event and I would expect the one in 2018 will bigger as far as participants, vendors and others. I thought I'd just put the info out there for anyone interested in Camaros/Firebirds. I know of at least one third gen that will be there; mine!

https://fbodynationals.com/
Old 02-21-2018, 08:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 91 Z28, 91 Z28, 92 Z28
Engine: LB9, LB9, L98
Transmission: T5, T5, 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:42, 3:42, 3:23

Something I always try to go to every year which isn't too far away is the FBody showcase in Somerset Ky for Somernites Cruise:
http://www.somernitescruise.com/june2018.html

Last edited by fireball451; 02-25-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:59 AM

Car: 91 RS Camaro
Engine: 3.1 in the begining and now a 5.7
Transmission: 700r4 w/ 2500 stall

Count me in, I've been waiting to get to an event closer to home (West Ky) so I can meet with some other members!!!
Old 02-23-2018, 09:54 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Abubaca
You know, if we all stay at the same Hotel... -we'd have a makeshift meet and greet in the parking lot Friday PM, then we could cruise to breakfast. Be lazy for a few hours.....roll to the show together.....then hang out in the parking lot AGAIN Saturday night. When we rolled 20 and 30 deep into Charlotte AutoFair twice a year, the relaxed parking lot atmosphere was almost more fun that the show. ...if the Summit guys knew we were all coming, I'm SURE they'd set aside parking so we could park together. -might be something to that.
I'm sure Allgen would let us set up. This would be fine. But there really isn't much to it. It is a Sat morning, early afternoon show, quick awards and it is done. I'm sure I'll still go to this anyways but I'm close.

Originally Posted by tonys91rs
i see potential ideas here.

1. the autorama Jbuchanan mentioned in April 28-29. Atlanta Motor Speedway. we can get our own area to park and it is a large event. we can have a meet and greet the night before and night of at a hotel in the area.
I am liking this idea more and more I look. Look at their website Tony, it looks like they are already ready for us.
http://www.atlantamotorspeedway.com/...its/car-clubs/

They also have a cruise around the track and autocross which might bring some more folks. Lots more to do if you so choose, or if you just want to do the Sat car show it's an option. And it is a Sat/Sun event so if folks wanted to come stay all weekend or they can or leave out whenever. There is camping on site and hotels real close buy that are affordable. Area demographics down there are about the same as near Summit, but probably more stuff. The only draw back i can see is that it is coming up sooner so we will need to get moving if we are going to push for a thirdgen meet up.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:00 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 383
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt-3.73

I would be interested in going, but would have to trailer the car depending on where it is. Too loud and hot to drive it more than a couple of hours.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:15 PM

Being the two shows are that far apart, why not plan to meet for both? Therefore everyone can plan one or both knowing we’re doing a thirdgen meet
Old 02-25-2018, 08:20 AM
Supreme Member

Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*
Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts
Car: 89 GTA ASC Conv., Prev: 89 GTA 6.3L
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 w/ JG1 Options:B2L, N10, U1A

I'd go to one hosted at Hawks, perhaps.

Or, still interested in this at National Corvette Museum. They have go carts, lifts for demos, etc. and a range of hotels etc.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: 350-Vortec-carbed
Transmission: 700-r4
Axle/Gears: stockola, right now anyhow

sounds killer, just need the dates, I may have to put in for a weekend, I'm only off every other one right now.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:10 PM

Car: 1991 rs, 1985 z28
Engine: 3.1 v6, 305 tpi
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23, 3.23

I'm like 25 minutes from Summit and like 10 from Atlanta motor speedway so a meet up at either of those would be awesome
Old 03-06-2018, 10:33 AM
Supreme Member

So crap just realized my sister is getting married the weekend of Autorama, so I'm out on that one.

I should be doing the Allgen Summit show regardless. Also planning on hitting up AMS when Powertour comes through.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by grngryoutmyway
So crap just realized my sister is getting married the weekend of Autorama, so I'm out on that one.

I should be doing the Allgen Summit show regardless. Also planning on hitting up AMS when Powertour comes through.
My throwout bearing just went out on my t56. I should have it fixed soon. Im also planning to meet in Atl for the power tour.

Should we go ahead and make plans for the all gen summit show in september? that should give us plenty of time and room to do this.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:19 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 6.8 HSR N2O
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 9" Moser 3.50 True trac

I have always wanted to do one of these. The closer, the better for me. I'm in North Alabama but could easily travel to Atlanta, KY, SC or even N. FLA.

Jumping in on the Summit gathering sounds like a smart deal too. I can't imagine how much goes into planning something like this so would appreciate anything that can be done. The main purpose for me is to meet other 3rd genners and see what they've put together. Don't need fancy dinners or other "events" to make it fun.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:26 PM
Supreme Member

Just found this;

https://www.summitracing.com/experta...lanta-motorama

Here's a link with more detail. Doesn't cost much but it might be a big gathering to try to meet just our group.

http://www.atlantamotorspeedway.com/events/motorama/

Last edited by antman89iroc; 03-11-2018 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Found detials
Old 03-14-2018, 12:21 AM

Car: 1988 SC Convertible

Can someone tell me what happened to the Fbody gathering in Atlanta?
Old 03-16-2018, 05:11 PM

in short, the hotel was no longer as cooperative, the ballpark wants to use the parking lot and the crew that has been putting it together want to retire from it.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:57 PM
Supreme Member

Yes planning on Summit in Sept, as well as Chatt to Atl on the Power Tour in June. So game with whatever you guys wanna do Tony.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:15 PM

ill know more in May what my plans are for the Power Tour. As of now I think the best plan for a third gen meet is the friday night of the Summit Fbody show in sept. Ususally they park the cars by generations, although some clubs do park together.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:38 PM

Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 6.0L LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Originally Posted by tonys91rs
ill know more in May what my plans are for the Power Tour. As of now I think the best plan for a third gen meet is the friday night of the Summit Fbody show in sept. Ususally they park the cars by generations, although some clubs do park together.
If all goes according to plan I should be up and running by September and definitely plan to be at the Summit show.

That gives us something to look forward to and maybe do some more planning in the meantime for something next year.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:41 PM

The All Gen Camaro Club Camaro and Firebird Show is listed at the Summit Racing in McDonough Ga on Sept 22, 2018.

Lets have our third gen meet the night before at the Outlet Mall Exit 212. There is plenty of places to sleep eat and shop. In the morning we can ride together to exit 215 for the show.

there is a Red Roof Inn, LaQuinta and a Ramada Inn. Could Have a nice parking lot party.

Last edited by tonys91rs; 05-06-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:04 PM

Sounds good
Old 05-07-2018, 08:07 AM

Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 6.0L LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73

If all goes according to plan the wife and I will be there!
Old 05-23-2018, 06:00 AM

Car: 1989 PONTIAC TRANS AM
Engine: 5.7 L
Axle/Gears: 3.73

i would like to be there only and hour 35 min away
Old 05-24-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 2.8 L V6

I just talked to the girlfriend, and I will be there too!
Old 05-30-2018, 01:51 AM

There is a Red Roof Inn, Ramada Executive Inn and a Holiday Inn Express. Looks like the Ramada and Executive are the cheapest.
I think we should pick one hotel to stay at to meet up and hang out. Sound good? Any preference?
Id like to tie this up and get it posted and planned this month.
Seems like were getting alot of interest.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:01 PM

Sounds good. I live close to summit so I'll meet up with you guys where ever you decide to meet at
Old 06-08-2018, 02:28 PM

Old 06-11-2018, 10:51 AM
Supreme Member

Planning to be there.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:47 AM

Car: 91 Z28 Coupe / 92 RS Vert
Engine: L31 350, HSR / L31350 Carb
Transmission: 700R4 / 700R4

Bot myself and my wife will try to make it in our 91's. Still have the blue Z but now have a 91 vert I've been piecing back together. Will do my best to get both cars there.

Quick Reply: Southeast Third Gen Gathering