Southern California Area Southern California Members.

DIY Paint job

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 IROC 92 Z-28 91 Ragtop
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700-r4
DIY Paint job

Having painted my cars in AZ and HI, now that I've come home to SoCal, I need to get smart about the ins and outs of DIY paint jobs on my Camaros in CA

What's legal for hobbyists to do here and what sort of paints can be purchased.

The shop repairing my ragtop can only shoot waterborne paints. I think these are the types that peel off after a few years? So what's my options - can I use traditional paints to spray in my backyard? Eastman has a large array of various paints, what's your opinions?
Old 04-02-2010, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DIY Paint job

I know that some people take their cars to neighboring states or south of the border for the paint job they want.

The waterborne paint requirement is statewide? Maybe someone in the know can shed some light on if there are CA counties that don't require waterborne paint.

Respect to you for being able to pull off backyard paint jobs that you're happy with. I know it can be a real pain without a booth.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:46 AM

Depending on where exactly you are, you may not even be legally allowed to spray in your yard.

You can still get non waterborne topcoats, but they're all urethane based no matter what the can says. The MSDS sheets I've read are pretty clear whats in the can, even if they want to call the paint an 'enamel' or a 'lacquer'. This becomes more obvious when the only hardener they recommend and sell is for urethanes. Primers are still out there in non waterborne as well. Get the duplicolor stuff at Autozone, its Sherwin Williams in the can and sprays well.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Grand Prix TPI
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 200 4R

I'm not currant on the paints right now, 10 years ago you could get real acryllic primer and reducer in San Diego as they are outside the AQMD. If thats still true I don't know. SherwinWilliams on reilly st in SD was a option.
I did a recent google search for paint stores around here and its pretty bleak, both Betz and the other place north of them in Orange are gone.
I need to spray a mirror on the wifes car so im looking too.

Enamals are extremely hard to get a good gloss without dust outside a booth. the old acryllic laquers and the clear coat base coats dry real fast but require color sanding. The clears with hardener are REAL hard, color sanding is a bitch.
Any primer you buy up here is either water based or has a hardener and the former cannot be water sanded and the later is too hard to sand both go on like $hit.

I was upstaged

We can talk more at the meeting.