Southern California Area Southern California Members.

Need advice/suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice/suggestions

Hello everyone! It's been a loooooooong time and unfortunatly this post may be my last. I returned from Japan 2 weeks ago. (i missed good American Torque-monster) Last Sat I was returning from Los Angeles on the 60 frwy at about 9:00pm... (sorry if i caused you any trouble Lon, this was right by your house on Hacienda)...when I was cut off by a white Toyota Camry, rear ended/side swiped by a Buick (i think?) that was tailgating me and tried to swerve around me, sent spinning, was hit by about 4 more cars only to be finished off by a nice collision with the center divider. I got to climb out through my missing passenger-side t-top and be taken to Brea Hospital to make sure the pain i had in my neck wasn't serious. (it wasn't) Anyhow, they shut down the 60 freeway and all kinds of crap went on. I still haven't seen the police report yet but i saw my car and it will not see the road again....of this i'm sure. Anyhow, I have about $20,000 in total Mods on the car and because i have the Knight Rider custom bodywork, I am looking forward to a big fight with the insurance company of the retard that was tailgating me and sent me spinning. (the guy that cut me off probably got away) To buy a Knight Rider Replica with not even a single engine mod, you can order one from Mark's Custom Kits in Florida for $50,000!! Obviously I'm not asking near that amount for my car but with all the mods on my car as well as actual resale value for it's customization, I should be decently compensated. (I had a few guys in Japan interested in the car, once painted, for around $25,000) Any tips or suggestions for going into this heated battle?

Also, In the event I buy the car back, once it is considered totalled, does anyone have space to have the car towed to so that it can be parted out? (obviously, you'de be entitled to some of the parts yourself)

Last edited by XXROOXX; 04-09-2002 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:28 PM
Tas
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
****e man . Best thing to do I think is fine a clean thirdgen and swap EVERYTHING over to it.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:40 PM

Wish I could; however, I might return to Japan in July. (which means i need the $$ and probably can't afford to buy anything more than a beater from point a to point b car. Everyone keeps telling me I shouldn't worry because since it wasn't my fault, they have to reasonably compensate me.......the biggest question is what can be considered reasonable compensation?
Old 04-10-2002, 03:16 AM

what mods did you have in that car?? you can put it in front of my house! if of course i can get some parts???
Old 04-10-2002, 08:52 AM

Too bad man. accidents suck and insurance co's suck even worse.

If you are gonna part your car shoot me an email as I'm REAL interested in a few items you may have.

thanks and good luck.

Barry F

embarry@earthlinkDOTnet
replace DOT with .
Old 04-10-2002, 09:26 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
Welcome home. Nope it didn't effect me. They must have cleaned it up quickly, cuz it didn't effect my commute home from Irwindale Speedway that night. Strip the parts you want to keep (such as the seats and alternator) and swap in junkyard ones. I guess your bedroom will be full of parts again. Or sell them to fund the return trip to Japan.
Old 04-10-2002, 10:11 AM

If you just wanted compensation for injuries, I'd suggest going it on your own and not getting a lawyer involved. In this case, you might have to. Try without first, you can always hire one later. Make sure to use it as a threat before you get one, amazing what that will do.

Present any information you told us that you can. If you had offers, tell them. Probably in writing is the only thing that will hold water, but mention it anyway. I dont know about getting proof now, probably too late. Receipts are also important, I sure hope you have some, preferably all. If you have receipts for 20k, they are probably going to fix the car one way or another. If you have offers on paper, well, they better just bend over right now. Paperwork is the most important thing. If they try to mess around with you, tell them you are going to hire a lawyer and have him deal with their lawyer and get the money from them that way. Might have to go that far. You may have to get your car appraised as well.
Old 04-10-2002, 01:30 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: Moving...
Engine: Running...
Transmission: Shifting...
Really sorry to hear and see your car! Hopefully you had a great time in Japan! I would definitely do what Lon suggested and replace everything you want out of the car right away, pretty much every interior mod. I don't know where the car is now but if its in a tow yard I would act fast, nothing would suck more at this point then to have to argue more about what was in the car compared to what is missing one day when you get to the yard. Take or get a cover for the roof/ or an old t-top to keep the weather out. Best wishes I hope that things go in your favor
Old 04-10-2002, 04:01 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...
Jay,
Something you'll also want to do is find ads for cars similar to yours. You'll need this to back up what you want $$$ wise from the insurance company.

All the insurance company is gonna do is have a service scour the Recycler, Auto Trader, etc... for 3rd gen Firebirds to see what they are selling for. They won't consider all your mods. They may not even factor in that it was a Trans Am.

I've been thru this when my '84 El Camino was stolen. The ins. co. based their $$$ offer on what base model V6 Elky's were selling for. I had to argue my case since my car was a V8 with all the factory options. In the end, I got what I wanted for my car. A couple strategic phone calls to the head insurance adjuster also helped.

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2002, 05:49 PM

Ask them for whatever you think it is worth and if thy don't respond with something you can live with, tell them that if they think you can replace it for the cost they are suggesting, then they need to find that replacement for you! This approach worked on my 88GTA when it was hit by a drunk driver. I told them that it was a rare car and they needed to replace it for me. They responded with about $5,000 higher than what I had paid for it!

One thing they will probably do is find out what you have it insured for. This might hurt your case! Good Luck!!
Old 04-10-2002, 07:08 PM

Talked to my insurance company today, gave my statement, and it looks like they are going to be dealing with the other insurance company for me and handling everything as far as car value goes. (REMEMBER, this wasn't my fault so it's NOT my insurance company that's compensating me) With my injuries, the car, and all, I expect something around $20,000 so naturally I wil be asking for around $30,000 and giving my insurance company every bit of ammo i can. Like lasersi said, they will NOT be able to find a replacement for my car and when the closest thing they can compare it to is $50,000, i don't expect too much of a fight. (but if they want one, I have nearly all the reciepts for everything on the car and what i can't back up with a reciept, is obviously on the car and can be compared at cost.)
Old 04-10-2002, 11:13 PM

Sorry to hear about your car! That would kill me, I have had mine for 12 years.
My question for you is: Are your T-tops factory glass?
If they are, and if you decide to part your car out can I have/ buy the one that is left?
I am experimenting and am looking for a donor Glass Factory Top or two to play with so I don't ruin mine in the process!
Thanks in advance.
Sorry again for your loss!

By the way, Your e-mail adress link on this site is not working!
Old 04-11-2002, 01:30 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73
Awww crap Jay, that sucks!!! Good luck with the process, I know how much it sucks.