Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Steering Shaft Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Shaft Replacement

I'm going to be changing the steering shaft and rag joint in a week and was wondering if anyone had any tips. This is to remove play in the steering wheel. I guess this is a pretty common problem with our cars. If you have a whole bunch of play in your wheel then you may want to replace this.

I got the replacement part from GM, (intermediate shaft and rag joint) but was wondering if I should grease it up before putting the new one in. Also, it looks like a pretty tight fit. I know some of these things are collapsable, so would it be bad to compress it a bit to get the new one to fit in, or is this compression feature only designed in case of accidents? It seems there are only two bolts holding it in. One big one at the column and a smaller one by the rag joint.

Any help appreciated
Thanks a lot
Old 05-07-2004, 09:54 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
No problem compressing it. The sliding joint makes it easier to get into place w/o pulling the steering box. And yes, two bolts.

RBob.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:09 AM

How does one go about compressing the steering shaft to get it out? Its really a pain trying to get the shaft out. I hope I don't have to loosen the column to get it out.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 05-16-2004, 02:56 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Sometimes the upper portion of the intermediate shaft compresses onto the stewring column shaft. At times I've had to take a hammer to tap it down and off.

Try to compress the new intermediate shaft. Should give you an idea of how much pressure it will take.

RBob.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:38 PM

Car: 1988 Monte Carlo SS
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Just did this job 2 weeks ago on our 83 T/A. It compresses... no need to undo anything else, just two bolts (one on each end of the shaft). Can be a bit of a pain if it's tight though.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:18 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe Convertible
Engine: Your Momma
Transmission: I can go forwards and backwards
Now how do you get the steering column shaft onto the intermediate shaft? I'm having problems with this now after putting in a new steering column, and yes, I know there is a little notch so it can only go in one way. How can I do this? It's nearly impossible, is there some kind of tool I could use or method?
Old 09-08-2004, 12:27 PM

Car: 91 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: A4
Re: Steering Shaft Replacement

Originally posted by Nokternal7
I'm going to be changing the steering shaft and rag joint in a week and was wondering if anyone had any tips. This is to remove play in the steering wheel. I guess this is a pretty common problem with our cars. If you have a whole bunch of play in your wheel then you may want to replace this.

I got the replacement part from GM, (intermediate shaft and rag joint) but was wondering if I should grease it up before putting the new one in. Also, it looks like a pretty tight fit. I know some of these things are collapsable, so would it be bad to compress it a bit to get the new one to fit in, or is this compression feature only designed in case of accidents? It seems there are only two bolts holding it in. One big one at the column and a smaller one by the rag joint.

Any help appreciated
Thanks a lot
Could you let me know the part number for the whole shaft? I have been thinking of replacing mine as well.

Thanks.