Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Best All-weather (snow/M&S) tire to get?

Old 01-04-2005, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 TransAm
Engine: 350 5.7L
Transmission: Auto trans
Best All-weather (snow/M&S) tire to get?

Best All-weather tire to get?
What is the best all-weather (for Mostly cold & snowy, icy Boston area where I live) tires to get for a '89 TA automatic ??

I have now used the BF Goodrich Comp TA 245/50 VR16 tires.
I have had them on car for 10 years and got about 67,000 miles
out of them and still have a little bit of tread.... (worried I won't pass the state safety inspection today)... and car does slide real bad in inches of snow.

Sooo I've been thinking of maybe just sticking with the same BFG Comp TA's and going to NTW have them do it for me again.
The cost me back in 1994 about $130 each plus tax plus stems plus plus to total about $600 I think.

I live in Boston and my TA is an automatic and have little control in bad weather over car versus manual stick and REALLY need a good Mud & Snow type tire with regular decent allweather tread.
Car originally came with Goodyear Eagle Gatorbacks ZR16's
and they really reallly REALLY s*ck in the snow and car slides like Santa's sled.... so once got worn out I got the Comp TAs.

BFG Comp TA's seem to have good type tread. I'm not interested in any kind of high-perf tires - Z,S,T, etc.

I looked online at tirerack.com and looks like BFG sells "now" only
a "Radial TA" tire which looks exactly like my tread pattern
and they describe and refer to the "Comp" tire.

Did the "Comp" name tire go away and get replaced with the "Radial TA" tire name ? (seems like BFG did this)

Anybody have opinions on what best for me to get and maybe what it will cost? Is NTW or NTB goood place to go?

Is getting 67,000 miles on one set of tires on a Firebird TA pretty good ? Seeems to me I got my $$$ worth over all these years and not many troubles w/them.

THANKS
Old 01-04-2005, 07:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1997 Corvette
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73 IRS
It seems that I've heard people say to just buy a second set of tires/rims for winter driving. Most all-season tires don't handle well at all with heavier snow, etc. Honestly, I think its a good idea too unless you want to run on snow/winter tires all year long, but I know you get some decent weather in Boston in the summer.

I have a set of 225/60R16 "Semprit" snow tires. They are another line of Continental tires. They worked wonders for my car in the winter and rain. Honestly, I think my car deals with wet weather now better than my dad's '00 Lexus ES300 (FWD) with all-season Toyos. Weren't too expensive. I got them for $79 installed each, but I would assume they'd cost a bit more for ya.

Another really good tire that I was going to buy except I couldn't find them anywhere is the Firestone Winterforce II M+S. They are extremely cheap and a good tire. Couldn't hurt anything to pick up a cheap set of 15" rims from someone and buying some of these. It'd probably cost you under $300 total.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...
I've been running the BFG G-Force KDWS tires and been really happy with them. A very good all-season performance tire.

Tread life has been good and they perform well in the rain. No snow experience with them, but they are snow rated.