Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Hitch on a third gen.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hitch on a third gen.

There is a guy who lives two houses down from me, he tows his small basstracker constantly with his 87 Iroc. He does have a limited slip dif. and disc brakes, but he says it tows fine. No trouble going up a ramp. His hitch comes off just like on a Tahoe or something. All that is there to see when it's removed is the main bracket that's tucked slightly under the bumper and the arm with the ball attached to it is put on when needed and then removed.
You wouldn't notice it.
Personally I wouldn't use a camaro for a tow rig, but I don't see ocasional use as long as your not towing something too heavy, as a problem.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:36 AM

Car: 1984 Camaro Z/28
Engine: 350 SBC
Transmission: T-5

I would want to get rid of the entire bracket all together. they take what, like an hour to install? I'll spend two hours working on the hitch if it means I don't have to drive around with this ugly thing sticking out of my car. my boat is probably lighter than his, I know the car's got the power to do it just that I'm looking for a "removable" hitch or something.. technically, my z/28 should have more power than any original production 3rd gen.. but we'll have to wait and see on that one.

Anyways, I've been looking on the online classifieds. I found a couple S10's and GMC 1500's and whatnot that look like they could be fit for the job, all for under $1000. thing is they pretty much all have V6's and some have I4's. I don't know much about trucks, so maybe someone who does can suggest a good choice for me? I don't want anything full-size or whatnot, but a small V8 "truck" or suv or whatever is the target.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 85 Camaro IROC
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: open rear, 3.42 gears

you dont need a v8.
get a v6 something or other truck.
it doesnt matter what it is really.
i would suggest an auto trans though.
if you have ever pulled a boat out of the water with a manual you know its hard work and i worry about the clutch.
you could probably make do with a 4 banger truck to be honest.
as long as its got over 110hp or so, you should be fine. really.

whatever you do, DONT TRY THIS IN A CAMARO.
if you bend the body you will have a car that will never drive right again.
in order to do it right, you would need to
upgrade the brakes: $1000+
upgrade the rear suspension: $400
instal SFC's: $300
install hitch: $???

the list gets pretty pricy
Old 01-07-2009, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by RED_DRAGON_85
you dont need a v8.
get a v6 something or other truck.
it doesnt matter what it is really.
i would suggest an auto trans though.
if you have ever pulled a boat out of the water with a manual you know its hard work and i worry about the clutch.
you could probably make do with a 4 banger truck to be honest.
as long as its got over 110hp or so, you should be fine. really.

whatever you do, DONT TRY THIS IN A CAMARO.
if you bend the body you will have a car that will never drive right again.
in order to do it right, you would need to
upgrade the brakes: $1000+
upgrade the rear suspension: $400
instal SFC's: $300
I'm more concerned about torque than I am about horsepower. I suppose a V6 might be able to do it, I'm not particularly keen on the I4's though. Of course, in a truck, I would go automatic, not only is it easier to pull but torque converters can multiply low end torque by up to 4x. as for my camaro, I'm well aware of the unibody faults, My camaro is getting sfc's as well as several other chassis/suspensions components regardless of whether it pulls a boat or not. the suspension is getting fully updated and as for the brakes, well we'll see how she feels when i'm driving her. might get some vette brakes up front and put discs in the back cause I think its got an open diff now anyways so i'm replacing the rear end. I have full confidence in my camaro's abilities to pull the boat, its just not something I would want to do to it. My dads 83' T/A pulled the same boat just fine with no mods back in the day. We'll see how things fall into place. I find the V8's to be ultra reliable and easy to get parts for. then again, some of the V6's are literaly 350sbc's with 2 cyl chopped off. If I get a truck, it will probably end up being whatever I find a good deal on, as long as its got at least 6 cyl.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1991 RS Camaro
Engine: L03 (want LS1)
Transmission: 700R-4 (and T56)
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 3.23 posi

I think they're probably trying to say that the money you spend on getting the Camaro ready and getting the hitch, you could have a truck. But then you wouldn't have the Camaro modified.
On a more helpful note, if you can get the front brakes from a 98-02Camaro/Firebird for cheap, you can do a front brake conversion fairly cheap. I have about $325 in mine total - that's counting the $135 + shipping for the new hubs (DYI with your's would be much cheaper if you can find a machine shop to do it), $100 for low mileage calipers, pads, brackets, and rotors (car had 35k miles and new aftermarket rotors), $75 for the brackets. Hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1966 El Camino Custom
Engine: 350
Transmission: 200R4
Axle/Gears: 3:73 12 bolt with Brute Strength

Have you located a hitch assembly? I'm about to list mine. PM me if you're interested.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by 91_5.7_TPI
I think they're probably trying to say that the money you spend on getting the Camaro ready and getting the hitch, you could have a truck. But then you wouldn't have the Camaro modified.
On a more helpful note, if you can get the front brakes from a 98-02Camaro/Firebird for cheap, you can do a front brake conversion fairly cheap. I have about $325 in mine total - that's counting the $135 + shipping for the new hubs (DYI with your's would be much cheaper if you can find a machine shop to do it), $100 for low mileage calipers, pads, brackets, and rotors (car had 35k miles and new aftermarket rotors), $75 for the brackets. Hope this helps.
That does help, actually. Never thought of looking into the brakes off a 4th gen. I remember trying to stop my buddies berlinetta, i slammed the pedal into the floor and it still took a while, mind you those rotors were rusted and whatnot from sitting. Definitely going to look for em off a 4th gen. Does it matter if the 4th gen is a V8 or a V6?

As for the people saying its cheaper to get a truck than a hitch, yes and no. I mean most of the mods to get it "ready" to handle a hitch are going to happen anyways. the only mod would literally be the hitch itself. one other thing to consider, trucks in Canada are more expensive than those in the states, and are usually in worse condition due to the winters. But I'm actually looking into trucks, we'll see how it goes. but you have to consider the insurance costs as well, but adding another car doesn't double the insurance, just adds a bit.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1987 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI all stock
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: G92 G80

Get a Nissan truck...those old little four bangers are strong...they come in the 240sx's(which i use my daily and have for the past year) 150hp or so and very torqy and reliable. KA24 is a very reliable engine. And you can find one super cheap, and parts for it are cheap JIC something breaks which probably wont lol.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:36 PM

Car: 89 Trans-Am
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

http://www.hitch-web.com/proDescrip....e=293306&OID=8

I was looking at this for my 89' T/A. I have a 8 foot hydroplane with an old 1954 Mercury Mark 20 motor. Very small and VERY light. The hitch is somewhat hidden. They are a pain in the A to install and remove. This one has a very small opening for the tounge, so not as noticable. Just a thought. I'm in the same "boat" as you. How ever I need to go back and forth to the parents cottage. It's on Stag Island, Ontario....Just below the Blue Water Bridge on The St. Clair River. Across from Sarnia, Ont. I haven't bought it yet, thinking about getting a Ford Ranger. I love my car, but the others are correct.....it's just not practical.....Oh well..... I do think the hidden hitch is the most inconspicuous hitch available for our car. Good-Luck with what ever you decide.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisry1995
http://www.hitch-web.com/proDescrip....e=293306&OID=8

I was looking at this for my 89' T/A. I have a 8 foot hydroplane with an old 1954 Mercury Mark 20 motor. Very small and VERY light. The hitch is somewhat hidden. They are a pain in the A to install and remove. This one has a very small opening for the tounge, so not as noticable. Just a thought. I'm in the same "boat" as you. How ever I need to go back and forth to the parents cottage. It's on Stag Island, Ontario....Just below the Blue Water Bridge on The St. Clair River. Across from Sarnia, Ont. I haven't bought it yet, thinking about getting a Ford Ranger. I love my car, but the others are correct.....it's just not practical.....Oh well..... I do think the hidden hitch is the most inconspicuous hitch available for our car. Good-Luck with what ever you decide.
Go figure, I'm building an 8' hydro right now myself. its one of the glen-l plans but it looks solid. i've got an old 50's johnson 10 horse, and an early 60's McChulloch 28 horse. Sarnia is pretty close to where I am now, I'm in Windsor for university. That hitch is interesting, I wonder why it wont fit a z/28 camaro... bumper piece maybe?
Old 01-09-2009, 03:58 PM

Car: 89 Trans-Am
Axle/Gears: 2.73

http://www.hitch-web.com/vhitch.asp?...PID=6&VID=5486

Check this one out, but it says won't fit with dual exhaust. If you look at the installation links, it may help you with why some fit and some don't. You're right across the river from me. I live in St.Clair Shores north of the Terrible City of Detroit. I just hate that city! Anyway, Windsor is Cool..so not Detroit!! Those Glen boats are nice. I bought my hydro already built. I just have to repaint it for the up coming summer season. Nice to find we're neighbor's. BTW, if you're just pulling a light boat, I wouldn't worry too much about the frame connectors. They would be very nice, but if you're tight on cash and it sounds like you're boat is small, you should be fine. I installed air shocks on my car. I got them real cheap on E-Bay..NOS. I'm thinking under $50.00 for sure. I like the "old school" look of the rear end up alittle. Car has an old muscle car stance if I want. I never cared for the whole lowering thing. But that's just me....Maybe one day we could meet-up with our boats in tow and go for a spin???
Old 01-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1991 RS Camaro
Engine: L03 (want LS1)
Transmission: 700R-4 (and T56)
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 3.23 posi

Originally Posted by F-Body_Fetish
That does help, actually. Never thought of looking into the brakes off a 4th gen. I remember trying to stop my buddies berlinetta, i slammed the pedal into the floor and it still took a while, mind you those rotors were rusted and whatnot from sitting. Definitely going to look for em off a 4th gen. Does it matter if the 4th gen is a V8 or a V6?
As long as it is from a 98-02 F-Body, you're good to go.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisry1995
http://www.hitch-web.com/vhitch.asp?...PID=6&VID=5486

Check this one out, but it says won't fit with dual exhaust. If you look at the installation links, it may help you with why some fit and some don't. You're right across the river from me. I live in St.Clair Shores north of the Terrible City of Detroit. I just hate that city! Anyway, Windsor is Cool..so not Detroit!! Those Glen boats are nice. I bought my hydro already built. I just have to repaint it for the up coming summer season. Nice to find we're neighbor's. BTW, if you're just pulling a light boat, I wouldn't worry too much about the frame connectors. They would be very nice, but if you're tight on cash and it sounds like you're boat is small, you should be fine. I installed air shocks on my car. I got them real cheap on E-Bay..NOS. I'm thinking under $50.00 for sure. I like the "old school" look of the rear end up alittle. Car has an old muscle car stance if I want. I never cared for the whole lowering thing. But that's just me....Maybe one day we could meet-up with our boats in tow and go for a spin???
Depends on what they mean with dual exhaust, do they mean like true-duals or just dual tips? because f-body's came with dual tips stock, i'm sure they had to have compensated for it. As for windsor, I'm sure its better than detroit for the most part; however, I've never been to the states. I don't particularly like Windsor. Originally I'm from Toronto which in my opinion much much nicer than Windsor. I'm with you on the muscle car stance / lowering cars opinion. I don't mind lowering cars, but some cars just shouldnt be lowered. Some 3rd gens should be others shouldnt, I would like my camaro to have that muscle car stance, especially since i've got the fat tires on the back. If you want in the summer some time we'll get together with our boats i'd love to go visit some new lake or something with it.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 iroc-z/28
Engine: 408 lsx
Transmission: 5800 stall
Axle/Gears: 4.71

i have a hitch if anyone needs one.
ill sell it cheap if there is interest. it came with the car and has been in storage for 10 years.
i have the hitch, no hardaware, but it bolts right in the holes in the rear frame.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Originally Posted by stage20
ill sell it cheap if there is interest. it came with the car and has been in storage for 10 years.
i have the hitch, no hardaware, but it bolts right in the holes in the rear frame.
If you were in central Texas, I'd take you up on that. My buddy can't find the one I was gonna get from him. I don't wanna know what shipping would be on a steel hitch,,,,,
Old 06-08-2009, 04:51 PM

Still have it? Will it fit my 92 RS that has twin tail pipes off the muffler?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ChevyKid
Still have it? Will it fit my 92 RS that has twin tail pipes off the muffler?
it came off my 88 iroc. it cleared the factory muffler and factory dual tailpipes just fine.
i dont know how yours is sorted, but it may very well work if the pipes are spread far enough apart.
id let it go for 20 bucks+actual shipping.
its a lil heavy, may eat up a few bucks in weight.
LMK.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:39 PM

it came off my 88 iroc. it cleared the factory muffler and factory dual tailpipes just fine.
i dont know how yours is sorted, but it may very well work if the pipes are spread far enough apart.
id let it go for 20 bucks+actual shipping.
its a lil heavy, may eat up a few bucks in weight.
LMK.
The pipes on mine are directly below the frame rails. Got any pics? Wish I could find this SportFrame 24643 that DrawTite use to make. I love my Camaro. Just need to take my ATV around to some places to ride. Don't want a cheap old crappy truck just around for that.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ChevyKid
The pipes on mine are directly below the frame rails. Got any pics? Wish I could find this SportFrame 24643 that DrawTite use to make. I love my Camaro. Just need to take my ATV around to some places to ride. Don't want a cheap old crappy truck just around for that.
i dont have any pics.
its in storage. it may be the weekend before i can get to it.
it mounts to the frame rails, i just cant remember if the bars sit on the inside, or outside???