Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

85 IROC Suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 03:41 PM
EJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC
Engine: L69
Transmission: 5spd
85 IROC Suspension advice

The restoration of my 85 IROC L69 5spd t-top is down to suspension. The motor has a mild cam, Edelbrock carb, headers. If I ever go for more power it would be in the 350 hp range. It is a t-top car and I dont plan on taking it road racing on track. However I certainly plan to drive the car and want it to handle as a new IROC did or better without losing ride quality. I have stock IROC rims and spec goodyears and plan to replace all bushings with polyU. What would you guys suggest for a shock/strut/spring package? I assume there are some options available now that would be better than the stock equipment available in 85. I also want to avoid getting new springs to stiff that increase the tire fender gap. I would appreciate any advice or experience anyone has. Thanks!!
Old 02-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Black IROC-Z (SOLD)
Re: 85 IROC Suspension advice

First forget about springs, they non-factor in your supension. 25 yr old car, so lets start upfront with steering (Spohn has a kit for one stop shopping), end links (ft & rear), front struts & rear shocks, SFC to tighten up the uni-body, rear lower control arms, panhard bar those bushing you planed on. Also you could add front strut support.

This is about it, in my opinion for a good daily driver. Just so you know I have and installed the above listed items on my car.

Last edited by DJP87Z28; 04-25-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:48 AM
EJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC
Engine: L69
Transmission: 5spd

Thanks for the advice. Looked on Spohn and I see the front end rebuild kit but I dont see a complete kit as you mention. I also see the SFC and rear control arms. Many shock and strut combinations available from bilsteins, tokico blue and kyb either adjustable or non. I was thinking the Tokico blue for my application along witht he other Spohn parts you suggeted. What shock and struts did you use? Thanks!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Black IROC-Z (SOLD)

Originally Posted by EJ2
Thanks for the advice. Looked on Spohn and I see the front end rebuild kit but I dont see a complete kit as you mention. I also see the SFC and rear control arms. Many shock and strut combinations available from bilsteins, tokico blue and kyb either adjustable or non. I was thinking the Tokico blue for my application along witht he other Spohn parts you suggeted. What shock and struts did you use? Thanks!
The complete kit was for the steering and not the other parts. After having sticker shock with Bilstien & koni prices, i went with the KYB GR-2 Struts & Gas -Adj rear shocks. All that I mentioned works well for me, but that is just my opinion. Someone else will have more radical ideas and suggestions for parts, but it is up to you what to decide.