Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 small block
Suspension

Is it possible to put a corvettes suspension and brakes on a 82 camaro? i love how thay handle and stuff, i want to turn like im on a track to even out the strip power
Old 01-17-2011, 12:36 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am WS6
Engine: LG4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 LSD
Re: Suspension

One member I know of has attempted to swap over the independent rear suspension from a C4 Corvette and it's been really tedious and expensive. You can make a third gen handle just as well or better depending on where you stick your money. Good tires, KONI struts, new bushings, and SFC's seem to be the best starting points. As far as brakes, there are tons of options but admittedly I haven't really looked into any of them. A good search should yield some advice there. Also, this thread: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...nsion-how.html is a great start for looking at good ideas for relatively cheap and easy suspension mods. All the "sticky" threads on this section will help you understand what's going on under your car and how to fix some of the weak points. Another thing that definitely has helped me decide what I want to do with my car is following members with cars that really handle. Stephen, Dean, Grey Goose, Racing Geek, 91_5.7_TPI and SDIF are all really intelligent and offer great advice- some of them might come across a little harsh at times but their advice is really valuable and they'll probably help advise you on how to build your car as long as you aren't a knucklehead haha.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

As mentioned, a Vette has an independant rear suspension, a whole different ball of wax than the F-body. There has been a few who've tried doing the Vette rear IRS, and maybe a couple that have succeeded, but at a huge cost of money and time.

You also have to factor the Vette having a rear transaxle (depending on what year we're talking about) - makes alot of handling difference when you have the weight of the tranny in the rear (more proportional weight ratio).

But as mentioned, you can significantly increase the handling feel of an F-body with new suspension components (ball joints, tie rods, centerlink, idler arm), new bushings, better sway bars, new springs/shocks/struts, wonderbar, SFC's, STB, etc.

I'm running Bilstein shocks/struts, Eibach springs (lower 1"), poly bushings everywhere, adjustable panhard rod, Edelbrock STB, and TDS wonderbar with all new ball joints, tie rods, centerlink, idler arm and my car handles and feels 100 times better than it did over stock. All that can be done in the driveway in a weekend easily. SFC's are next on the list for me.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:38 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Originally Posted by camaronewbie
I'm running Bilstein shocks/struts, Eibach springs (lower 1"), poly bushings everywhere, adjustable panhard rod, Edelbrock STB, and TDS wonderbar with all new ball joints, tie rods, centerlink, idler arm....
No after market strut mount in conjunction with the STB?

JamesC
Old 01-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44 IRS

Originally Posted by midnightfirews6
One member I know of has attempted to swap over the independent rear suspension from a C4 Corvette and it's been really tedious and expensive. You can make a third gen handle just as well or better depending on where you stick your money.
Originally Posted by camaronewbie
As mentioned, a Vette has an independant rear suspension, a whole different ball of wax than the F-body. There has been a few who've tried doing the Vette rear IRS, and maybe a couple that have succeeded, but at a huge cost of money and time.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...uspension.html

BY the time you beef up a stock 10bolt to take any horsepower and upgrade the rear suspension, you'll have about the same money in your rear than I have in my IRS swap. Its a lot of work and you have to pay attention to details, but it's only expensive if you don't have skills and tools to fabricate on your own.

...and if you think that you can make a thirdgen handle as well as a C4, you haven't been to many autocross events...