Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

suspension rookie "?'s"

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91RS
Engine: carb'd 357 vortec
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
suspension rookie "?'s"

ok fellas i’ve thought about this long and hard and still have not made definite decision yet so I guess the best thing for me to do is get the parts list together and see what everything costs then ask some questions and see if I am willing to do this work or take to a shop and let them do it for me.

I would like to have the experience but at the same time if simpler and cost effective then I guess i can just sub it out. I am thinking of lowering my car. I Know that I need to measure but it looks as if the rear is a little higher than the front so I thinking 1.5in drop in front and 1.75in for the back and according to the stickies that I have read here on this board I will prolly need the following parts: adjustable panhard bar, LCA relocation brackets, and an adjustable torque arm and of course ALL of the bushings for the front and rear and not to mention the shocks and struts. My car stayed so long w/o the engine in from the 355 swap that the shocks and the struts (23years old) stayed extended and will not go back in even with the engine back in the car.

notice that my name is “budget builder” so where is the best place for me to purchase the parts that I need( price, quality,) what parts will i actually need b/c I read that depending on low I go I might not need some of the parts.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 89 Formula 350
Engine: Forged 385 H/C/I
Transmission: 700R4-4300 Stall-lockup
Axle/Gears: BW 9 Bolt 3:70
Re: suspension rookie "?'s"

Umiperformance.com
Foundersperformance.com
Lcarbs, adjustable tq arm, adjustable PHB. Adjustable lcas should be a good start.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Aussie 9-bolt/3.27 posi

An Adjustable Torque Arm is NOT needed for a lowered 3rd gen. I've had about 6 & have never used nor needed one.

An Adjustable Panhard bar though is something that you will need. Even stock height 3rd gens can benefit from one to center the rear axle if your trying to fit wider than stock wheels & tires.

Lower Control arm Relocation Brackets aren't NEEDED. They will enhance traction from a stop such as in drag racing or fast starts but not NEEDED.

For a TRUE budget build? Just cut your stock springs. I did that with my first 3rd gen, 92 RS, and even autocross raced it afterwards. When spring cutting is done correctly? It is perfectly safe to do. After all.....People cut their stock springs for decades with no ill effects before someone decided to design lowered springs.

All this info has been posted a million times before on TGO. You coulda found an answer to every one of your questions, and more, by using the Search feature here on TGO & not had to wait for anyone to answer you with they have likely already typed 1000 times.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: SuperRam 350
Transmission: Pro Built S/S TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Are you doing the drop because you want more aggressive look? Or because you want more performance?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91RS
Engine: carb'd 357 vortec
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

more for looks. I ddon't do any racing or anything other than playing with it a little.