Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

electronically adjustable suspension??

Old 03-12-2014, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: carb. chevy 350
Transmission: 5spd
electronically adjustable suspension??

Hey so I had a thought on the way home from school today... electronically adjustable shocks. I came home and googled it, found some neat setups but they're all coilovers and nothing on our cars, I was curious if anyone had/has this kind of setup on their car??? any info would be great. I've looked at tein, and their setup looks simple and well made, but from what i've read it only works with their coilovers and they don't make them for our cars. Besides, coilovers aren't good for our cars... from what i've heard.. ??
Old 03-26-2014, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: electronically adjustable suspension??

Originally Posted by ealyboy2013
Hey so I had a thought on the way home from school today... electronically adjustable shocks. I came home and googled it, found some neat setups but they're all coilovers and nothing on our cars, I was curious if anyone had/has this kind of setup on their car??? any info would be great. I've looked at tein, and their setup looks simple and well made, but from what i've read it only works with their coilovers and they don't make them for our cars. Besides, coilovers aren't good for our cars... from what i've heard.. ??
http://www.nmcadigital.com/2014/01/2...ker-asm-shock/

Viking Performance takes suspension control to the next level with its award-winning, revolutionary Berserker ASM™ (Active Shock Management) system. The Viking Berserker ASM™ was named the Best Engineered New Product 2014 at the SEMA show, and also was recognized with two Global Media Awards. This all-new smart suspension management system is the ONLY aftermarket system that monitors chassis input and reacts to it by automatically adjusting shock valving up to 1,000 times per second! The Berserker ASM™ provides the ultimate in performance handling and ride control right out of the box. In addition, an optional upgrade allows advanced unlimited tuning and suspension data acquisition for drag racing, autocross, road racing or other applications via a laptop plug-in or a soon-to-be-released smart phone app.

The made-in-the-USA Berserker ASM™ utilizes hydraulic shocks with computer-controlled, electrically actuated valving. This delivers ultra-high performance suspension control with improved ride quality, and without the need for the driver to adjust anything. The Berserker ASM™ includes a technological built-in bump stop to prevent the shocks from topping or bottoming out, and automatically adjusts to absorb potholes, speed bumps, rough terrain, wheel stands and so on. The Viking Berserker ASM™ optimizes cornering, stopping, and launching to provide the ultimate system for autocross, road race, drag racing or just plain old cruising. For more information on this revolutionary product, visit Viking Performance’s website

http://magneshocks.com/

http://magneshocks.com/Documents/Mag...EMoverview.pdf

http://www.carmaracing.com/magneshoc...icing-details/
Old 03-26-2014, 01:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears

^this looks a lot like a spam message....^
Old 03-26-2014, 03:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

Originally Posted by RedLeader289
^this looks a lot like a spam message....^
No it looks like a simple copy paste from the website in question offering some potential options for the opportunity. I see no spam.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
No it looks like a simple copy paste from the website in question offering some potential options for the opportunity. I see no spam.
I was just thrown off by the lack of any original words whatsoever and the fact that it looked like an email advertisement or something. thought I'd bring it to someone's attention. Not trying to cause a fuss.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

to what end?
what goals you plan to get?

safe levle ride or jump around like a low rider???

Could just steal the system out of a 90+ caddy

Last big one my Grandpa had, did that, soon as you got in and started it, the car would auto level for the ride load, thing was a monster, would plant you hard in the seat and take off like a rocket then stop on a dime at will, drove like a sports car with 4 doors.

none of that feeling like a boat rollin over.....
Old 03-26-2014, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: Ellis Juan
Transmission: t-56

the magneshock system is overpriced (14,000 i think), incredibly amateur looking, and just not as good as the OEM systems out today. the viking electronically adjustable hydraulic system is a traditional shock with a stepper motor connected to teh adjuster.

this is why i want to hack/adapt the 08+ MRC.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaverRacerX
the magneshock system is overpriced (14,000 i think), incredibly amateur looking, and just not as good as the OEM systems out today. the viking electronically adjustable hydraulic system is a traditional shock with a stepper motor connected to teh adjuster.

this is why i want to hack/adapt the 08+ MRC.
Magne is about 7k. Please explain how this system is inferior to the GM system. I am curious and want to know.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1984 LG4 Camaro
Engine: 350 Roller Motor
Transmission: Level 10 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Tokico (I think) made an adjustable system for the 3rd geens back in the early 90's, it was about $2k just for the systems, not counting springs or anything else. It was not anything like the magnetic fluid dampers we can find on new cars like the ZL1 or the like. It was to instantly adjust to any level of firmness you wanted.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Suaveat69
Magne is about 7k. Please explain how this system is inferior to the GM system. I am curious and want to know.
GM system adjusts itself, MUCH less bulky, OEM quality/reliability, much more readily available parts, integrated sensors, much less expensive..
Old 03-26-2014, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by paul_huryk
Tokico (I think) made an adjustable system for the 3rd geens back in the early 90's, it was about $2k just for the systems, not counting springs or anything else. It was not anything like the magnetic fluid dampers we can find on new cars like the ZL1 or the like. It was to instantly adjust to any level of firmness you wanted.
..that reminds me.. i need to get ahold of a 5th gen strut to get some measurements off of.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:05 AM
On Probation

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

A system like this is so complex- there is no way you could use it in a universal application. The program and internal dampering disc and bypass volume would have to be matched in adjustable range to the vehicles weight and travel based on shock motion ratio of leverage and angle of monut. The GM applications are fixed for that specific installation.

It would be aa waste of $1000's unless you also could afford them to R&D it on your particular application. Otherwise, a typical universal $150 Koni would run circles around it performance wise to the average individual installer. You still have the problem of learning damper rate choices, but cost you less in the long run buyin ww ifereet sts of shocks and some track testing to get your best performance if you do not understand shock dampering.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by SlickTrackGod
A system like this is so complex- there is no way you could use it in a universal application. The program and internal dampering disc and bypass volume would have to be matched in adjustable range to the vehicles weight and travel based on shock motion ratio of leverage and angle of monut. The GM applications are fixed for that specific installation.

It would be aa waste of $1000's unless you also could afford them to R&D it on your particular application. Otherwise, a typical universal $150 Koni would run circles around it performance wise to the average individual installer. You still have the problem of learning damper rate choices, but cost you less in the long run buyin ww ifereet sts of shocks and some track testing to get your best performance if you do not understand shock dampering.
The 'valving' is EXTREMELY soft to start with. Basically useless in an inactive mode. Like boat on minor seas soft.

There are a few parameters needed to create a base tune but after that, the controller uses information fed to it to stiffen and soften the shock as needed. Current applied to the magnetic fluid essentially creates the valving needed.

When figured out beyond OEM tuning, these things will make the tradition hydraulic stuff look like a joke. Its already happening in the super cars.

Last edited by RaverRacerX; 03-27-2014 at 02:11 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:17 AM
On Probation

All this does is enable a car to be flexable to ride soft for cruising and then go directly to race mode without the driver needing to understand a thing. It will NOT shame a traditional race shock on a proper setup chassis. It will only match it if the perameters I listed are dialed in. Otherwise it is a logistical nightmare with electronic valving.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:07 PM

All this does is enable a car to be flexable to ride soft for cruising and then go directly to race mode without the driver needing to understand a thing. It will NOT shame a traditional race shock on a proper setup chassis. It will only match it if the perameters I listed are dialed in. Otherwise it is a logistical nightmare with electronic valving.
the same was said about EFI. though, i suspect Williams would also disagree

it will take tuning and such but in the end shouldnt be any more complicated than competently tuning an engine. its just physics.

with the sensor package used: dive, suspension position, lateral G, steering position, vehicle speed, and yaw rate... you wouldnt need to switch through settings. the controller would adjust the suspension for the conditions.

at any rate, technology marches on. as it does, the analog become obsolete in more areas.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:11 AM
On Probation

Originally Posted by RaverRacerX
the same was said about EFI. though, i suspect Williams would also disagree

it will take tuning and such but in the end shouldnt be any more complicated than competently tuning an engine. its just physics.

with the sensor package used: dive, suspension position, lateral G, steering position, vehicle speed, and yaw rate... you wouldnt need to switch through settings. the controller would adjust the suspension for the conditions.

at any rate, technology marches on. as it does, the analog become obsolete in more areas.
I 100% agree and you actually made my point. The average person has no ability to electronically tune an engine. they rely on a pre-preobramed configuration. Once these systems are perfected and have been designed for specific applications (each with unique programs and required senors mount positions in that specific car/application) then it will be plug and play. But until then, I still stand on my first quote.Right now that is very expensive and not feasible.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:15 AM
On Probation

...also to add. Every single electronic product I have ever bought has pretty much failed in life. When it does, I have to throw it away. My Pyrometer just took and electrical crap- there went $400 into the round file. When something mechanical wears or breaks, I can fix it.

I fear the day cars drive themself. I know every computer I have had in my home has crashed and frozen at one time or another. Technology will kill people. I like analog.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:10 PM

...also to add. Every single electronic product I have ever bought has pretty much failed in life. When it does, I have to throw it away. My Pyrometer just took and electrical crap- there went $400 into the round file. When something mechanical wears or breaks, I can fix it.

I fear the day cars drive themself. I know every computer I have had in my home has crashed and frozen at one time or another. Technology will kill people. I like analog.
yep, inevitably, the more complicated a system... the more failure points. its a law of engineering.

the way i see it is, unless people explore the newer technology more.. it will never be refined, made more reliable, and made less expensive.

there is a limit to what technology should control. brake by wire for example.. dont want that anywhere near my cars. DBW is another. the electronic suspension is a good medium. you get incredibly precise control of the suspension along with the ability to log everything.

i guess we'll see how it goes