Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Been a while, need some opinions on a-arms, k-members, steering gear, and stuff

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 Z28
Engine: F-body LT1 swap
Transmission: T-56 swap
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt w/ 28 spl posi, 4.10, disks
Been a while, need some opinions on a-arms, k-members, steering gear, and stuff

Ok, I have oficially not logged in for over a year. I have gone from deployment to deployment, bought a new dodge 3500, bought a new 2012 2SS Camaro, and now I am on another deployment and fixing to go to MSG duty in december after I get back. Let me digress to the topic at hand...

My poor old 83 Z28 has been pretty much sitting in the driveway with leaking T-tops (I have orginal GM stuff to replace the cheap crap I put on), a leaking steering gear that has permanently ruined a large swath of my driveway, and in general it needs some love before I store it for three more years in TX.

SO here is my predicament, I need to work through some suspension and steering stuff. Let me line it all out for you:

1) Fix the steering leak. I have two choices here, AGR or AC Delco from Rockauto. I am leaning towards the AGR but am unsure if it is worth the entry fee over the AC Delco. Your thoughts?

2) I have a Spohn K-member, lower a-arms with the adjustable delsphere joints, and the coilover conversion sitting under a shelf in the garage. What I have decided was based upon research here is to use the K-member, sell the coilover kit and a-arms (No spring pocket).
-I want the k-member to free up space to reroute my AC lines so they stop cooking on the Dyno Don headers (I have an LT1/T56 conversion). It is just too much heat and has ruined the AC line.
-I am now debating between replacing the bushings in the factory a-arms or get some UMI a-arms. Thoughts?

3) I plan on getting lowering springs all around to replace the original springs. I wont delve into that subject here, I am sure there are plenty of opinions on it.

4) I am rebuilding the entire steering system. I have decided to forego the Spohn setup and just go with some Moog problem solver stuff.

The things that weight most on this will be I am not returning from this deployment until July and I leave in December for more than three years. I also am selling my house and am probably gonna lose my garage shortly after returning so no long term stuff. Time and money are always against you. Thanks for your input!

The reason for the rebuild is after driving my new Camaro then driving my old one I realized just how much slop is in my sterring, almost scarry!
Old 03-31-2014, 08:44 AM

Re: Been a while, need some opinions on a-arms, k-members, steering gear, and stuff

Well I got no replies, must be too much for one post. I have decided to order a rebuild kit for the steering gear, MOOG steering stuff, Ebach pro-kit, and Del-a-lum bushings for the factory a-arms. I am still gonna try the Spohn K-member and hop I dont have any issues with it. It seems some do and some dont. The car has KYB's all around and the rear shocks are pretty new and the fronts have less than 15k on them.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '89 Camaro
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L65/70E
Axle/Gears: 9 Inch, 3.70 gears
Re: Been a while, need some opinions on a-arms, k-members, steering gear, and stuff

You and I are in the same boat. I bought my car while I was in Afghanistan, it sits at my parents house where my dad drives it once in a while, but I only drove it for a week while I was back in the states for Christmas. Currently I'm stationed in Italy, waiting to finish up my assignment here before going back to the states. My steering box was some kind of horrible, so I ordered a new one from rockauto. Can't remember the make, other than that I got the quick ratio. I replaced most of my rear suspension with stuff from Founders, and plan on taking a trip to Larry Larson's shop to get my SFC's and BMR torque arm welded in.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:31 PM

Where at in Italy? I was at Sigonelli for about a month and will probably go back there once I am done doing what I have to here in Africa.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '89 Camaro
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L65/70E
Axle/Gears: 9 Inch, 3.70 gears

Naples, 2nd Nato Signal Battalion. How'd you like Sigonelli?
Old 04-01-2014, 05:20 AM

Sig was not bad, we were liberty restricted for a while so I only got to go out in town, but the volcano was pretty cool and it erupted which was even cooler.