Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Steering rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering rebuild

I'm replacing my steering parts tie rods idler center link. Should I replace the sway bars? And pitman arm? I don't want replace the sway bar or pitman arm if thier not bad.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:54 AM

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts
Car: 85-6 TA 85IROC 82-6 MSE 15th/83pace
Engine: Slow ones
Transmission: 700R4/T5
Axle/Gears: Weak ones
Re: Steering rebuild

Sway bars really dont go bad. Unless bent or if they develop cracks in the eyelids. Spohn makes a great kit (http://www.spohn.net/shop/1982-1992-...sion-Steering/). Its pricey but very well made. I have it on my car with no problems. If your gonna go through all the trouble just get a full kit. Its light years better than oem. Remember to also check the condition of your steering box, if it is toast, anything you do will be met with minimal results/satisfaction. My box is nearing the end of its life and needs to be changed.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:03 AM

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts
Car: 85-6 TA 85IROC 82-6 MSE 15th/83pace
Engine: Slow ones
Transmission: 700R4/T5
Axle/Gears: Weak ones

Also, you definitely want to give your sway bar bushings/end links some attention. new bushings are super inexpensive. you can get some nice poly ones for the front, and back for under $100 all day long. lastly, because I seen you post in a different thread. If you want to upgrade to different sway bars dont go aftermarket first. Try to go oem off ebay or something first. Usually alot cheaper.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,668 Likes on 1,266 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Sway bars don't "go bad". (unless they break... ask me how I know about this) However you can dramatically alter the handling characteristics of the car, both for better and for worse, by changing them.

The Pitman arm in these cars also doesn't go bad. It's just a chunk of metal with 2 holes in it. Nothing to wear out or any such.

Sway bar bushings and end links, however, are a different matter. DEFINITELY replace those, gotta be some of the biggest bang for the buck you can do to yerbasic typical old wore-out stock suspension. Both front and rear links should be around 2¼ - 2½" long. Ideally you want the bar ends to be about level but that's the usual length, a good place to start from anyway. Measure the bar dia with an open-end wrench where the bushing goes, and install the largest size that's still smaller than what you measure. i.e. if you measure 1- 9/32", use 1-5/16" bushings. Grease them well. Get the greasable kind preferably so you can keep them well lubed.

Tell us what size your bars are now and we can offer opinions on whether you'd be likely to benefit from changing them.

You're more likely to need new springs & shocks/struts than sway bars. The dampers are ALWAYS nothing but dead weight, if still the OE they were total crap to begin with and had ceased to perform any detectable function by the time the car had 10k miles on it. Stock springs ALWAYS have lost both height and rate, and are sagging and weak.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I already replace my struts and shocks to KYBs and add eibach sportlines lowering springs and lower ball joint to proforged. The ride sticks to the road handles like an import car..awesome! Thanks for the info very helpful very knowledgeable. So I'm just do my tie rods center link idler arm and sway bar bushings end links. Thanks guys!