Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

v6 rear end

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 11:22 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 1991 base firebird
Engine: tbi 305
Transmission: 700r4
v6 rear end

I have a stock 305 tbi auto car. I found a guy parting out a v6 car. my stock gears are 2.73 his are 3.42. I wouldn't mind having those lower gear for a little peppier ride. from what I read all the third gen rear ends are the same size. so they would be interchangeable. I haven't been able to find any info on the v6 rear end being limited slip or not though. I wont be modding the motor. its a driver so unless the v6 car rear end is made out of rice paper it should be plenty strong enough for a 305 auto car.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 1,268 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: v6 rear end

The vast majority of 6-cyl cars did not come with posi.

The only way to know for sure what's in it NOW is to take off the cover and look.

In general there is no difference whatsoever between a 6-cyl rear and a V8 one. Different rears do or don't have posi, have different gear ratios, and come with different brake systems; but the basic guts, and fitment to the chassis, are the same.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro
Engine: 385
Transmission: '94 T-56
Axle/Gears: Broken 10 Bolt

Doesn't matter if the rear end is in or out of the car, turn one axle and if the opposite axle turns the same direction then it's an lsd (posi, torsen, etc.) type differential, but if it rotates the opposite direction of what you're inputting then it's an open differential.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 1,268 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Can't depend on that. You obviously have never been fooled when buying a rear axle.

Don't bother with any of the "spin the bottle" type stuff.

If you're buying a rear axle, the VERY FIRST THING YOU SHOULD DO, BEFORE laying down your cash, is pop the cover off and LOOK AT THE GUTS. Who knows, you might find ... no telling what in there. But while you're looking for broken parts, metal chips in the fluid, signs of wear, etc. etc. etc., LOOK AT the carrier and see if it's a posi. If you don't see a posi, then it isn't now and never was one. If you DO see a posi, then it at least WAS one at one time, but may or may not still work. You can test it by wedging one axle with a 2x4 or something, and trying to turn the other with a similar object.

But, the FIRST thing you should be doing is, TAKE OFF THE COVER AND LOOK AT THE PARTS, no matter what.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:44 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 1991 base firebird
Engine: tbi 305
Transmission: 700r4

cool. if the guy agrees to let me rape his parts car I will check out the rear end too. I'm looking to take his hood, passenger side front ground effect, factory wheels, steering wheel. and maybe that axel. he bought a car that has a much better body than mine but has a locked up v6. I cant believe he isn't going to put a new motor in it but to each their own. hope to know soon so I can go get the parts this weekend.