Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

stabilizer bar

Old 10-07-2017, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 WS6 5sp TA
Engine: 305
Transmission: 5sp
Axle/Gears: posi
stabilizer bar

ok, i'm installing new tires and noticed that these "things" need attention. what are they called and what should they supposed to look like ? all four look like they need to be replaced....
Attached Thumbnails stabilizer bar-dsc09249.jpg   stabilizer bar-dsc09250.jpg   stabilizer bar-dsc09251.jpg   stabilizer bar-dsc09252.jpg  

Last edited by dragsta; 10-07-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 firebird 86 c10 90 mustang
Engine: 383 sbc
Transmission: 97 t56
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 bolt 3.73
Re: stabilizer bar

They are sway bar end links. You can get replacements at any parts store. Ask for quality ones. Looks like someone tried to put rtv on them to try and keep them from rattling.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Get Energy Suspension or other similar poly ones, NOT stock.

AZ and others have them hanging on cards in the "performance" section. You can also get them from board sponsors, Summit, your local speed shop, etc.

They are all the same, except they come in various lengths. The length they are called is the measurement of that little tube on the bolt. Ideally you want to get the length that makes your bar sit level (i.e. centered in its range of travel); in these cars that's usually about 2¼" or 2½" both front and rear.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:12 AM
Supreme Member

I should also have mentioned: the bushings that hold the bar to the chassis in front and to the axle tubes in the rear, should also be replaced, again with poly. Measure your bars right where they go through the bushing, with an open-end wrench; buy the nearest next-smaller size. Front is probably 34mm which would use 1-5/16" bushings, and rear is probably 22mm which would use 13/16". But, measure what you have, don't take my guess as accurate or anything stupid like that. Get the greaseable ones.

They are CHEEEEEEEP, and IMO, probably the biggest bang for the buck to the overall "feel" of how the car drives. For less than $100 for the entire set they're almost revolutionary. Tires and shocks probably will make more difference of course, but also of course, are ALOT more $$$$$$$$.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:39 AM

thanks for the info.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Biledriver
They are sway bar end links. You can get replacements at any parts store. Ask for quality ones. Looks like someone tried to put rtv on them to try and keep them from rattling.
it's really incredible what $hit-rigs people do to old cars. i keep finding that stuff all underneath.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:12 PM
Supreme Member

Really... that one looks like the person just wanted to RIG something, as opposed to FIX something; s/he spent almost as much on RTV as the RIGHT thing would have cost.

I'm reminded of a friend who told of working for a utility, and one day parking his utility co truck while getting lunch. Plain white work truck. Came back out and found a brick hove through the driver's window and the truck rifled through, which of course there was nothing missing because there was nothing in it in the first place. The kicker was, the doors were unlocked, and the pass window was rolled down. IOW somebody just wanted to BREAK INTO a vehicle, and stealing anything was totally secondary.

Neca eos omnes. Deus suos cognoscet.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:44 PM

the job is done but took longer because the silicone had to be removed from the washers and it was squirted between the spacer and the bolt. what a GD moron.... so they are installed but i need to know how much to tighten them down. i got the stock ones because the "better" ones were more expensive and the rubber seemed too hard. i'm not going to be racing this thing around corners....
Old 10-11-2017, 07:50 PM
Supreme Member

Tighten em until the rubber is a little bit larger than the washers; maybe 1/8" overall OD larger. There's no "torque spec". The lock nuts will keep em at the point you set em.

Note that if the car isn't level, the top bushings on one side will be more compressed than the bottom, and vice-versa on the other side. Average em out.

Sorry you didn't get the good ones. You're REALLY missing out. A shame. It's not about "racing", it's about "enjoy". You REALLY would like the better ones ALOT more. They simply take out a certain amount of slop - "sedan ride" - that the low-perf factory ones like you have (better factory setups come with better ones than that), leave in.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:57 PM

you mean the ones with red rubber? i could still install them but that rubber seemed too hard.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:12 PM
Supreme Member

Yes, often the poly ("rubber") is red.

Compared to the forces put on it by the car trying to roll over, they're almost as soft as BUTTAH. The regular rubber ones are ... more like ... jelly.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:20 PM

yeah, they're a bit soft. i'll get some "red ones" and take these off. what is the best bang for my buck? ebay?
Old 10-13-2017, 08:26 PM
Supreme Member

Don't know that; I listed a few sources up there. Visit the Energy Suspension site, get the part #, search.

Consider supporting the board sponsors, esp if it's only acoupla $$ difference.

I'd suspect that Amazon or RockAuto will probably have the lowest price.

I bet though, in spite of being "soft", the difference between "none" and "some" was YUUUUUUUUUUJJJJJE.

Search this Thread