Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Alternative shocks and struts

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternative shocks and struts

Hay guys , I have this 89 GTA got it from previous owner and shocks are not comfortable at all that some interior accessories start cracking while driving , would the fourth gen shocks fit , and if not , is there any other GM ride has the same shock to be alternatively used ..

Thanx ..
Old 10-29-2017, 10:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Alternative shocks and struts

Rear shocks yes. They are the same, part # for part #.

Front shocks no. Our cars use struts up front.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Formula 350
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 3.27 Posi

There are more than 1 set of shocks/struts made for the third gen... KYB has 2 lines of struts for up front, and 3 types of shocks for the rear. Koni makes some, Monroe makes some...

When you get down to it, these are sports cars. You will not have a floaty boaty ride. If you want that, you want another car.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thtanner
There are more than 1 set of shocks/struts made for the third gen... KYB has 2 lines of struts for up front, and 3 types of shocks for the rear. Koni makes some, Monroe makes some...

When you get down to it, these are sports cars. You will not have a floaty boaty ride. If you want that, you want another car.
I know broo , sure these cars are sporty, I have another 91 T/A and it has a really smoothly driving ..

I used have 92 like 4 years ago and was a Gabriel on it , I will be appreciated if any would help me with the part number of it
Old 10-29-2017, 12:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

You want to buy an OE quality shock. Any change from OE will be for improved handling and make the ride harsher. Two other things you may look into are springs and subframe connectors. If the springs are original then they are sagging and soft possibly limiting the travel of the shock and making for a more harsh ride. Subframe connectors may be a shot in the dark. They stiffen the chassis and give the added benefit that when you go over bumps the body itself doesn't flex and thus introduce more creaks. Everybody who owns a thirdgen and takes pride/enjoyment from it should put subframe connectors on the car.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO5 5.7 TBI/Ebl Flash
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 stock rear end

Also new suspension might help “dampen” those interior rattles but they will not diminish them completely.

Your gonna have to tighten everything that you can inside and use 3m foam tape (or something similar) in the small loose crevices that creak.