Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

K-member removal

Old 11-13-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 101 Likes on 72 Posts
K-member removal

A series of events unfolded and now I must drop my front suspension/k-member. To do some repairs.

I was wondering if any of you had some suggestions before I drop the stock K-member

(I've removed the a-arms before, just not the k-member)
Old 11-13-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: One owner '88 IROC 50k
Engine: L98 with bolt ons.
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42 again
Re: K-member removal

That's how I drop the motor on my car. But I have a lift. You can do this on jack stands as well just not as easy. As to removing the A arms I have found it easier to do this before lifting the car too high to remove the 2 bolts thru the bushings. You will need to put a floor jack under the edge of the arm between the bushings then once the bolts are out you just lower the jack. No need for a spring compressor doing it that way and you do not have the separate the ball joint from the spindle if you don't need to.

As to the k-member if you are dropping the engine and trans leave it bolted to it and place a 4 wheel dolly under the k-member and the pan on the trans. Disconnect everything and lift the car off the motor and trans.

If your only dropping the k-member then get one of the bridges to attach the engine to that will sit on the inside of the fenders by the strut towers. Tighten the chains to allow you to remove the motor mount thru bolts.
Disconnect the brake lines and the proportioning valve and use a jack to hold the member while you remove the 6 bolts and the 2 triangle braces on the front (3) bolts each. then lower it.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:36 AM
KCG

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 89 IROC

Originally Posted by daferris
If your only dropping the k-member then get one of the bridges to attach the engine to that will sit on the inside of the fenders by the strut towers. Tighten the chains to allow you to remove the motor mount thru bolts.
Disconnect the brake lines and the proportioning valve and use a jack to hold the member while you remove the 6 bolts and the 2 triangle braces on the front (3) bolts each. then lower it.
I've never dropped the K alone but this sounds like a reasonable way to do it.
I have/and do drop the eng/trans together out the bottom by raising the body with an engine crane. Lift would be nice.
I leave all the suspension, exhaust connected and just roll everything out together...

Old 11-14-2017, 07:35 PM

Received 101 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by daferris
Good info
I didn't even think about the brake lines.
Thanks for the help.
This whole situation is a diaster for me.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 88 Sport Coupe Camaro
Engine: V6 2.8
Transmission: Borg-Warner T-5
Axle/Gears: RPO/GU6: 3.42

KCG:

What attachment point(s) do you use to connect your hoist to the body while you are sliding the K-member and motor out from under the body?
Old 11-26-2017, 06:20 PM
KCG

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 89 IROC

Sorry for the late response...

If you zoom in on the top picture, I think you can see the hook from my chain in the vertical slot on the outside part of the frame on the passenger side. I think I just looped my chain under the frame and hooked it there. I may have threaded it thru the steering link bracket first, then under the frame to hook it. Here's the slot I'm talking about .. there's plenty of meat there in my opinion.

Here's a closeup of the drivers side. Again, zooming in on that picture, it looks like I looped around the frame in front of the steering box and then thru a brace on the outside of the frame, then hooked to slot in front part of the outside frame.

Search this Thread