Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Asking about some suspension changes on iroc that sat

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asking about some suspension changes on iroc that sat

First 1989 iroc z28 ever owned and it sure does have a rough suspension mainly in rear. It sat for 5 years in garage . Previous owner did drop springs all 4 corners. I'd like to hope to think and imagine I can get it feeling nicer over bumps . I know these cars couldn't have been hard ridijr when they were new .Any bushings known to wear on them ?
any suggestions? Even if I wanna keep it lowered with springs Where's does the damping factor come into play ?
Old 06-24-2018, 04:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
Re: Asking about some suspension changes on iroc that sat

[QUOTE=Aaron709581;6231221 Previous owner did drop springs all 4 corners. [/QUOTE]

That might be your main problem right there.
Lowering these cars and putting on big wheels (not saying you put on large wheels) are two of the worst things you can do suspension wise to a stock suspension car. Even worse to a car that has the OE equipment suspension still! When you lower a car you change so, so much. To lower the car, and get it to ride properly as it sounds like you want, requires a commitment of a thousand $ or so. The entire suspension is set for a particular ride height. Lowering the vehicle means the rear lower control arms may now be at the wrong angle, the pinion angle may be wrong, the struts and shocks may have limited travel now which can kill them now. Camber is off. You may notice that you hit the bump stops from sitting lower. Panhard bar is now unlevel.

My advise is to purchase a set of stock springs from Moog (although IIRC AutoZone and Oreilly's both use rebranded Moog), new struts and shocks and then begin replacing all the wearable suspension bushings and get an alignment to top it off. The car should handle pretty good at that point and prevent you from seeing a spine surgeon.