TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

First post (HI ) and a quick question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2000, 06:27 PM
HPS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First post (HI ) and a quick question...

I just got my 91 RS 305 and sometimes* when I am cruzing and I put my foot down a little it cuts out and bogs really badly! I am thinking that I need a new fuel filter and get the injectors cleaned (its TBI), but I wanted to see what you all thought?
Thanks a lot...

Also, the service engine soon light came on a few times, but its not a regular thing...

------------------
My Msg Board, with special sections...- http://www.idlechat.net
HPS
91 Teal Camaro RS
305/350 Heads
With a little luck, skill, and help,
she should be a fast *** 305...
Any ideas, e-mail me, or post to me...

"United We Stand, Divided We Fall"
Old 11-29-2000, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definetly a good place to start. When the car is fed bad gas>>>>due to old/bad fuel filter it'll either bog (like you said), throw a code (like you said) or do both(like you were saying). So, change that puppy, clean the injectors, and check a plug or 2 and see about changing those, the wires and the cap. You know, the regular stuff never hurt. Specially, on a *new to you* car

------------------
Alex (AKA chevyboy) '91 RS 327 stroker, trans-go shift kit>> manual valve body, cat-delete, MSD (ignition, coil, 2-step, timing retard/ advance),Flowmaster, complete Edelbrock suspension including shocks, struts and lowering springs. CRAGAR drag wheels. Lowered 2.25" in front and 1.5" in rear....Best E/T 12.84 @109 mph...(got spray?)plus more!!
Old 11-29-2000, 07:31 PM

Car: 92 RS, 02 Tacoma, 2 73 Porsche 914s
do the allround, whenever you buy a car. tune it up. even if the previous person said it just was. fuel filter, plugs, cap, rotor, test wires, check timing, run some fuel system cleaner, etc.....

boy am i rude, welcome to thirdgen.org

[This message has been edited by snflupigus (edited November 29, 2000).]
Old 11-29-2000, 09:16 PM

First, you gotta learn how to check your codes. Under your dash, there's gonna be a connector, it'll be rectangular, with about 12 square holes in it. get a paperclip and shove it in the top two holes on the right, then turn your key to the on position, DO NOT START THE CAR.

Your Service Engine Soon light will blink a whole bunch, you need to count the blinks, it's kinda like morse code. 1 blink pause, two quick blinks is a code 12

code 12 is a check code, disregard it.

Code 12 will flash 3 times:

blink
pause
blink
blink

blink
pause
blink
blink

blink
pause
blink
blink

After that, the other stored codes will flash, you need to have a pen handy and count the blinks, 3 blinks, a pause and 3 more blinks would be a code 33.

Get all your codes, then double check all the codes again and get back with me.

BTW, code 12 flashes 3 times at the end, same as the beginning.