TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Thinking about getting a tune, any help and guidance would be appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock
Thinking about getting a tune, any help and guidance would be appreciated

I've got a bone stock 92rs, 170hp, one wheel peel. I want to get it tuned to get a few more ponies out of it, however this is my daughters' first car so I'm not going to go too radical...YET. Anyway I live in the Virginia Beach area and wanted to know if anybody has gone to DTP or anywhere else to get it tuned. With leaving it stock my goal as I said to get a few more ponies, but I want to help with the fuel mileage. I know this statement is odd in thinking, but I'm sure the efficiency of this engine/TBI unit can give me both. Does anyone know of a dyno shop that can do this? And possibly what gains have been gotten?
Old 02-23-2016, 09:24 PM

Car: 1989 Formula
Engine: 355ci HSR SBC
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Thinking about getting a tune, any help and guidance would be appreciated

You can optimize what the car has with a tune but the problem you have is the fact that it is a very restricted setup to begin with.

Since an engine is just an airpump, you have to think about it that way. You want to free up as much air in/air out. Your exhaust manifolds are one of the worst restrictions on that car. That single snorkel air cleaner is another one. Start by searching for 305 tbi air intake and exhaust upgrades. You will free up a not insignificant amount of power with headers, a high flow cat, dual snorkel air cleaner. You should also look at upgrading the chassis with subframe connectors, a wonder bar, and larger sway bars from a Z28 or Ws6. Good Springs and some koni or bilstien shocks and struts will make the car feel like a whole new animal.

Complete new header back exhaust system should get you around 20-30hp.

Open element air filter or dual snorkel is good for around 5

Under drive pulleys 5-10

So you might see an additional 20-35 hp at the wheels. You are sitting right around 130-140 now.

Last edited by truckerz; 02-23-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:00 AM

Car: 92 Camaro
Engine: 305
Axle/Gears: stock
Re: Thinking about getting a tune, any help and guidance would be appreciated

I've got an aftermarket air cleaner on it, round style, but can be upgraded. I do plan on changing the exhaust for sure. However, I wanted to know what type of tuning/chip burning or chip purchase can be done to change the parameters of the computer. I do not know how to burn my own chip so if someone out here does it please let me know and maybe we can get together.