TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

HELP !

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP !

Recently purchased cap rotor wires and coil to see if my car would run once again 92 camaro rs tbi 305 and it still does not. I've have this on going problem of it cranking for many seconds before turning on but it will automatically turn off without touching it once it's want to turn on. I try to step on the gas but it sounds like it chockes out and it dies. I've replaced the fuel tank fuel pump water pump injectors iac tps cts rebuilt tbi water pump fuel filter fuel pump relay plus most of the ignition system and I don't know what else to switch or do. Someone help me out I want to fix it but idk what else to do. The car is pretty old it sat for 8 years so of course it has problems but I've done almost enough to have it running. I flushed the system it has brand new coolant and my last option would be to take to a mechanic. Any help would be appreciated
Old 12-08-2016, 01:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: HELP !

Why do you start new threads for the same old car, same old problems?

People ask you questions, give you advice. You disappear for awhile, then you start a new thread. Sometimes more than one at a time. Like yesterday.

1. When the engine is cranking but not starting, does it have spark to the spark plugs, and does it have fuel spray at the injectors? How about after it dies?

2. When was the last time you inspected 'n' cleaned the spark plugs? If it runs that badly, some or all of them could be fouled.

3. While the plugs are out, what is the cranking compression of all eight cylinders?

4. What is the fuel pressure when it cranks but won't start? What is the fuel pressure when it runs? What is the fuel pressure when it dies?

5. What does the scan tool show for O2 sensor voltage, engine coolant temperature, short- and long-term fuel trim, and battery voltage (while cranking and while running)?

6. Did it run before you screwed with the TBI unit?

7. What is the ignition timing set to, at cranking speed with the brown distributor wire disconnected?

8. Is the EGR valve leaking so that the fuel/air mixture at idle has exhaust gas in it?

9. You've been fighting this car since June, professional help is probably warranted.

Last edited by Schurkey; 12-08-2016 at 02:03 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Schurkey
Why do you start new threads for the same old car, same old problems?

People ask you questions, give you advice. You disappear for awhile, then you start a new thread. Sometimes more than one at a time. Like yesterday.

1. When the engine is cranking but not starting, does it have spark to the spark plugs, and does it have fuel spray at the injectors? How about after it dies?

2. When was the last time you inspected 'n' cleaned the spark plugs? If it runs that badly, some or all of them could be fouled.

3. While the plugs are out, what is the cranking compression of all eight cylinders?

4. What is the fuel pressure when it cranks but won't start? What is the fuel pressure when it runs? What is the fuel pressure when it dies?

5. What does the scan tool show for O2 sensor voltage, engine coolant temperature, short- and long-term fuel trim, and battery voltage (while cranking and while running)?

6. Did it run before you screwed with the TBI unit?

7. What is the ignition timing set to, at cranking speed with the brown distributor wire disconnected?

8. Is the EGR valve leaking so that the fuel/air mixture at idle has exhaust gas in it?

9. You've been fighting this car since June, professional help is probably warranted.
I don't know if it has spark but i would like to think it does since it did start and does start for a bit and yes gas is spraying from the injectors but as soon as the pedal is pushed the injectors choke out and they are brand new.
I just recently changed them about 2 months ago so they're fairly new but I'll go ahead and check them to see if they're fouled.
I don't know the compression I would have someone check it for me which is why I'm taking it to a mechanic soon.
I haven't been able to check it since it's tbi and no one carries the gauge and what not so I would have to purchase one and check it which I was but never did.
When scanned no codes come up its just 12 repeating it self and I haven't checked the battery voltage not the coolant since it doesn't run long enough.
No it wasn't able to run before I rebuilt the tbi it ran after for a short period of time I would crank it and it'd start up fast. I wasn't able to put some coolant in on time so it'd want to over heat and when it would run I couldn't go past 3000 rpm
I don't know the timing on it nor anything about the cranking timing and what not so once again professional help I know
I had checks the EGR valve and it was working idk if it has a leak but I might as well replace it for future preferences
Old 12-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony0128
I'm taking it to a mechanic soon.
Damned fine idea.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:54 AM

Well thanks for your input I'll be taking it soon hopefully it'll get fixed and I'll let you know what the problem was all along.