TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Cut hose that's smoking by "stove pipe" on drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cut hose that's smoking by "stove pipe" on drivers side

A little backstory....Few days ago I received a 92 firebird, 305 TBI v8 with a 700r4 trans put in recently by the guy. When running it smokes from the hose cut I have circled in the attached pic I found online on this forum from another search.

Thanks for any help guys...is this just a "vent" hose I can just attach a hose to and let vent from the bottom of the engine bay? Or where in the world does this thing even go and what does it do?

I'm a novice with cars, I know little shade tree mechanic stuff here and there, but not super privvy in depth stuff, so simple step by step directions are much appreciated...

the plastic shift linkage broke on me yesterday and got that repaired today, but then apparently the tow truck knocked a transmission line loose so when I cranked it to verify the homemade shift linkage made out of metal now worked (which it does...yay) red kool aid came dripping out....that was lovely....an easy fix though with just more trans fluid and a new clamp. My dad did say the line looked like a cheap one though and eventually to go to a shop and have them put in a better quality one.

also....when first cranked it idles a little low and sounds rough, searching online a little people said to clean out the throttle body? When warm, it idles higher fine. It's never died on me, just sounds rough and crude at first startup for a bit.

Besides the smoking which smells like burned oil sort of coming from that hose, or at least cough inducing exhaust, and the low idle on start, and needing some new tires, I'd say the car's in alright shape for being ~25 years old. Was always a fan of these cars....sounds much meaner than my old v6 truck I got rid of for it lol.

Once again, in that pic attached, I have the same style air cleaner with a spectre one, that either badly needs cleaned and/or just a new cheap paper filter put in, I have that "stove pipe" sitting there as well, but the thing smoking is that other thing I circled up above next to it.....with all those little metal tubes converging into that one point then it's supposed to be a hose going somewhere......but on mine the hose is just CUT right there and gone....that's where the cough inducing exhaust(?) smoking is coming from

edit: He did say it needed valve cover gaskets, those are pretty cheap. I've never personally put those on a vehicle though. But the oil level is still good, if it's burning a little oil, it's not much at all.

edit2: I found another topic talking about the stove pipe being open like that since this isn't the stock air box/cleaner....and people said it's fine it just takes the car another min or so to warm up? The stove pipe apparently just sents hot air. My main concern is this smoking cut hose that's gone next to it...lol

edit3: found a 2nd pic where I have also circled in red highlighting the thing I'm talking about where I literally have no hose there that smokes when it's running.....not sure where the hose goes or what the thing is even called???

edit4: found the metal pipe it's connected to on rockauto, called "Air injection pipe" guess I'll look what kinda hose it takes,etc....lol.
Attached Thumbnails Cut hose that's smoking by "stove pipe" on drivers side-1992-firebird-engine-question.jpg   Cut hose that's smoking by "stove pipe" on drivers side-305-tbi-hose-other  

Last edited by WhiteSnake91; 02-04-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Cut hose that's smoking by "stove pipe" on drivers side

Of text.

I only skimmed your post, because I have things to do today, but the heat stove (the stainless steel stack on the exhaust manifold) is relic of carburetors, intended to heat the incoming air a little on cold starts. It's fine for it to be open.

The AIR Injection system is similar, an air pump blows air into the exhaust under certain conditions to help the emissions burn cleaner. You don't really need it unless you have inspections.

Neither should be smoking. Oil dripped on the manifold will smoke when heated. There shouldn't be anything in the AIR system but air, unless the check valve on the manifold is leaking.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Cut hose that's smoking by "stove pipe" on drivers side

Sorry lol....I'll try and get a hose when I'm not feeling so sick from autozone, I guess a longish heater hose would do...hard to drive with it smoking right there by the drivers side....I'll try a new pcv valve since I heard when they're bad they'll suck/burn oil.

The valve covers don't seem too bad to get off.

reading a little some people said they just plug theirs off with a 1/4" standard pipe bolt

edit: The stove pipe is fine and doesn't smoke....just that AIR tube does on the driver side next to the stove pipe.