TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

TBI spacer plate: BBC or SBC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 RS Convertible
Engine: TBI 350 currently
Transmission: World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 with a Eaton TruTrac diff
TBI spacer plate: BBC or SBC?

Hi all...

I'm thoroughly enjoying my recent return to hotrodding and cars (after a 20 year racing hiatus) because of this site! There's literally TONS of incredible information and super knowledgeable folks!

I recently picked up a 5-speed 1989 convertible RS now with a 350, mild cam, and Hedman shorty headers with 3" Summit exhaust. According to what I have read, this will 'wake it up' a bit. I just had the 46mm throttle mod done and I have the 3704 Edelbrock coming - then heading to the machine shop for boring of the holes to match.

My question is: Can I use a BBC throttle spacer from Spectre with is already at, I believe, 52mm, or should I get the SBC spacer and have it bored out to 46mm? I NEED the spacer (NOS plates made for TBIs are like hens teeth!) as I'm using one of my old NOS systems laying around. I'm going with 2 fogger nozzles screwed into the spacer at 75 HP a piece.

Also, will I be able to close the hood with the 1" spacer and a Summit 3" x 14" in diameter open element air filter?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Scott Paladini
Old 02-16-2017, 03:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 RS Camaro
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi
Re: TBI spacer plate: BBC or SBC?

I would say if you want the spacer exact purchase the SBC one and have it machined. If you don't care get the BBC one which is larger and it wont need machined. You're hood may or may not close its tough to say but I bet it hits with a 1 inch spacer.

I run an Edelbrock 2116 Intake, 1/4" TBI adapter plate and a 14 x 3 Air cleaner. It rubs the bottom of my stock hood but it closes.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 RS Camaro
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi
Re: TBI spacer plate: BBC or SBC?

Also I think you may need to bore the 3704 intake a little. I think that is setup the same size as the stock SBC TBI bores.