TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

No Start / Hard Start When Hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.7 Vortec with TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
No Start / Hard Start When Hot

I have an odd issue that just started. I have a TBI 350 Vortec with EBL Flash system. I has always ran very well. Lately when its hot or Ive been driving a while and I let it sit for 10 min while I run into a store, get gas or something like that It doesn't want to start back up. It will turn over and will kinda run at 250 or 300 rpm...very rich...rough and as soon as I give it any gas it dies. I did get a data log while it did it and the SA was at 0 and the running light was not on while it was kinda running. I can turn it off and back on and sometimes it fires right off like normal and sometimes it does the rough kinda running thing. I figure its either fuel or spark and I looked at the injectors and they are spraying like normal when its kinda running. I was thinking maybe a coil issue or ignition module. Any suggestions? I have not had it act up when cold at all.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:17 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: No Start / Hard Start When Hot

It may be the ICM or pickup coil, hard to say. As for the Running indicator, the ECM doesn't consider the engine running until it goes over 400 RPM.

RBob.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:21 AM

Thanks so much for the feedback. I gave a new coil and ICM a try yesterday. No luck. Is there something in the tune that may be flooding it on startup. I have 65# injectors at 32 psi with a VRFPR that backs it to 23 or so at idle.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:58 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

The tune could be causing the issue, but I don't think so. The reason is that you can turn it off when not running correctly, then sometimes restart the engine like nothing happened.

Note that holding the go-pedal to the floor while cranking its a clear flood mode. The ECM greatly reduces the injector PW.

Another thing to check is the CTS reading when this happens. Any corrosion on the CTS connector (sensor or pigtail), and it reports a colder then correct coolant temperature.

RBob.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:12 AM

RBob, I cant tell you how much I appreciate your input. Thank you so much.

I did go thru some previous threads last night and came across one of your posts that mentioned SA Initial. It suggested trying it set at 6 for a hard start condition. I did think that made sense since it also said it uses SA Initial as the setting for startup. My tune was set at 0. My engine wont run at 0. Once I disconnect the plug to set the initial it dies. With several tries I was able to get it set at 0 initially. This got me thinking if it wont run at 0 makes sense it might not start at 0. I advanced it to 15 and set the SA Initial to 15 and have driven it all day today. Probably have done 10 hot starts. No issue at all yet. I do have an LT1 starter so no issue turning it over either. Seems happy.