TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Gas all over the place

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas all over the place

I have an 89 305 I just replaced the heads put a new distributor on it got it all hooked up fired up right away timed it to the best of my knowledge there was running nice turned it off went to restart it and it wouldn't so I pulled it cleaner housing off and there was gas all over the top of the throttle body and you know when it was running it smelled real rich I noticed in one of another post that someone said the time it we have to pull an EST plug I have don't know where that is so. I'm asking for help with the extra gas and timing procedures please
Old 09-13-2017, 08:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO5 5.7 TBI/Ebl Flash
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 stock rear end
Re: Gas all over the place

The EST wire bypass is located in the wiring harness on the passenger side right next to the firewall. This picture is showing my strut mount, but you can barely see the connector peeking out in the upper left corner of the picture.

ebay image host

Disconnect this while setting initial timing. When you disconnect this, car will idle rough and you will get a code. This is normal. Its possible you set timing to far advanced and the engine is just windmilling.

As for the fuel, are you sure you got the fuel lines cranked on tight enough? Going to need to start the engine with the air cleaner off to see where its leaking.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:25 PM

I thank you for the info I haven't had a chance to try it yet I'm a veteran and I have an appointment today but it usually takes a while to get anything done. Thanks again
Old 09-30-2017, 09:38 AM

I never got to reply to the last email but I did as you suggested and ran it without the air cleaner and found that it was the pressure regulator diaphragm that was leaking . I finally got the beast running good the first time I went to pass another car I got a "Check engine" light and it didn't kick down properly. the error code was "11" which says trans-axle 2nd gear not working right any clues to what I might of missed. I thank you for the good info the first go-around