TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Making a Tbi a daily

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making a Tbi a daily

Hey my TBI has been great so far n the few weeks ive had it. Fixing little things here and there is a must and i Know ill probably never be finished but i enjoy tinkering with it and learning.

Just a few questions. My map sensor seems to have gone bad, occasionally the vehicles service engine soon light will come on and the vehicle will sometimes hesitate and shut off at idle. I can crank it back up and if the light turns off, the car runs great again! I think i should start with the Map sensor, where can i order a good one?

Also from the top of the driver side header to the actual black air intake, there is a metal hose that links the two and its a bit ripped. Is that a major issue? where can i get a replacement for it? it looks metal?
Old 10-21-2017, 06:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45
Re: Making a Tbi a daily

get the code scanned before you buy a map just to make sure. you can literally scan the codes on these cars with a paper clip, look up the paper clip trick on here. that metal duct isnt super important, it just sends exhaust gases back up into the intake to be re burned to reduce emissions. I'm sure you can find a universal one online somewhere for pennies. good luck
Old 10-21-2017, 06:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

That metal hose your talking about is to allow hot air from the manifold area into the air stream going into the air cleaner and intake manifold during warm up.

A tear is not a big issue unless you are trying to pass a SMOG visual inspection.
You can buy the tube at your local auto parts store.

I like to by my Electrical and Electronic Components from O'Reillys Auto Parts because they sell the BWD Brand made by Standard.

If you go on line you can by from "Rock Auto" and pick products made by several company's including AC Delco and Standard.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome info! Ill definitely follow up with this stuff now.