Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

COOLANT in the OILPAN!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
COOLANT in the OILPAN!

Due to extremely bad planning on my part (take off intake, remove lifters and then jack up the car, as to let the coolant in the heads drain out of the heads, into the valley, and as such, down the lifter holes, into the rest of the motor) there is some coolant in the engine now... the oil is coming out tonight, and the motor isn't being rebuilt for about a week... I plan to leave the filter and drain plug off, plus the top of the motor is open. Will this moisture evaporate, or do I now have to tear this POS down? Obviously, to totally remove the oil pan, there is some massive disassembly needed in the front end, so I'd like to avoid this. What do you all think...

JEZZZUS! My LS1 is so much simpler! Oh well, it's fun anyways!
Old 04-16-2002, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 85 IROC
Transmission: 700 r4
drain the oil pan and pour an extra quart of oil across the lifter valley. it will be fine.
Old 04-16-2002, 03:16 PM

"JEZZZUS! My LS1 is so much simpler! Oh well, it's fun anyways!"

Reeeeallly ? Bolt ons dont count. I betcha even a bolton is simpler on a 91 Z28. LOL
Old 04-16-2002, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by Blackened
"Reeeeallly ? Bolt ons dont count. I betcha even a bolton is simpler on a 91 Z28. LOL
Oh, it may just be perception... I've been under the hood and torn apart more LS1's than I can remember now, so it's probably just a matter of what I'm used to... but consider this... Intake removal is NOT required for a Cam swap in an LS1. The only problem with the LS1 is the car it's in really... it's hard to work around the fact the motor is half under the dash, but other than that, when the motor is out on a stand, working on an LS1 is really no different than any other small block chevy motor.