Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

*** Help Me??????????

Old 04-22-2002, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*** Help Me??????????

Ok here it goes. I have an 89 RS TBI 305 Camaro. For a while now I have had a problem with my car not wanting to start after stop and go driving. It stays cool with the fan the whole time but when I stop it will not start. My first instict of course was to put a heat shield over the starter. So I did one better and put 2 of them over it. But it still is doing it. My battery,alternator and starter all test fine....??? Could it still be my solenoid?? Or maybe the ignition coil... But heres the symptoms.....this is what gets me!! I start my car, cruise around for a couple hours and turn my car off. If I immediatly start it back up it will start but if I wait a few minutes it wont start at all. No clicking of the starter or nothing. So my only two options are to wait an hour and then it will start or jump start it. I cant figure out why it wont start for that hour period or so. And why jumping it works. Has anyone else experienced this??? Someone please help me......
Old 04-22-2002, 10:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 83 Z-28
Engine: 406
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.70
Is it cranking really slow when hot or it just won't start? Mine cranks slow when it's hot also. I think that it's the solenoid getting too hot from the headers or it could be that I have a big deep groove underdrive pulley on my alternator that isn't letting the battery completely charged up while cruising around at low rpm.
Old 04-22-2002, 10:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
This may be a long shot, but happened to me several times before I figured out what it was. Check the ground wire to the battery and make sure it's tight. Of course an easy way to see if that has been the problem, have your presets on your stereo been reset a bunch of times by itself.
Again a long shot, but something to check out.
Old 04-22-2002, 10:10 PM

No mine wont turn over at all!!! No clicking or anything. But an hour later it will start. I have 2 heat shields so I dont think its the solenoid. I dont know AHHHHHHHHHHH
Old 04-22-2002, 10:11 PM

No I havent had that problem but EVERYTIME I get out of my car I get a shock.............could it be from that????
Old 04-22-2002, 10:24 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 83 Z-28
Engine: 406
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.70
I think that Mark might be on to something cause that reminds me of a time that the ground wire was coming loose from my motor. I have a big neg. wire coming from my battery to a bolt on the engine block. The connector was coming apart and when I would try to start it it just didn't want to. I had someone looking under the hood when I would try to start it and there would be a slight spark that you could barely see on the ground wire. I made a better connection and it's worked good so far but I still think that my solenoid is getting really hot. Also, you might want to clean the terminals on your battery if they aren't clean.

It almost sounds like your alternator isn't charging since you can wait an hour and it will start but immediately after you shut it off it won't. I know you said the battery and alt. checked out fine but you never know. Especially the machines at Autozone. I had a bad starter one time and took it back to be tested and Autozone kept telling me that it was fine. I finally got it tested some place else and it really was bad.
Old 04-22-2002, 10:33 PM

Well Im putting in a new engine soon and I will rewire a lot of stuff. I will get new posts for my battery and see if that is the case. I thought about it not charging but I can drive on the interstate for hours and park and it will start because the wind kept everything cool. but stop and go is a different story. If it is still my solenoid then I will have to re-route my exhaust. Im so frustrated from this. Im pretty sure my grounds are good but then again I not an expert. Now what about the Ignition coil??? Is that a possibility?? My friends thinks so but I know nothing about it.

Search this Thread