Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

please give me information on possible dammage to motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 03:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 iroc-z 5.7tpi 350,
Engine: 5.7tpi 350,
Transmission: T-56 fully built WOOHOO
please give me information on possible dammage to motor

ok well yesterday my radiator cracked, steam everywhere, i figured well its over heating, me not knowing anything ack it will be fine i needa new radiator any way, so i start driving down the road, about 3 mi down the road, it past 260, and it thumping and not wanting to accellerate hard, so i figure ok i better get to water dont want to heat up more by turning it off, so i get in the lane, its so hot smoke is comming out, white smoke not blue smoke, well than i hear the crank bearings, klunk klunk klunk, smoke white still, than stall, well i figure well my engine is now gone im a dumb *** i try to start it up cause im in the turn lane to a gas station, click click, nothing, engine must have frozen, so i push it to the gas station let it sit, you can smell burning oil, but it was white smoke, after a while im able to start it up, no noises, but very very very low oil pressure, so i turn it off, and it disels, bad, it disled, but it was slow, and thump thump thump sound, stoped completly, well so i have it towed home, sat over night, my mechanic came over, looked at it, nothing warped, or fried, nothing obvious from above and below, so i start it up, normal oil pressure, running fine, no noises, nothing, only thing is heats up cause of crack in radiator, leaking, turn it off fine, so my mechanic has a heart attack in disbelief, and happiness, than he tells me theres straight 50weight oil in there for racing oil and additives to protect ****, he says that must have been the oil boiling and so the bearings werent getting any oil it was so thin, it had little lubrication, and so any way thats what caused the no oil pressure after i started it about 15 mins later it was still so thin and hot couldnt circulate, what do you think caused the stall, and do you think any dammage was done, will it be ok?

Last edited by porkyzilla; 08-02-2002 at 04:18 AM.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:57 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the engine got hot
Old 08-02-2002, 11:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 92 GTA/ 00 TA
Engine: 383/350
Transmission: 700R4/T-56
You could be anywhere from the luckiest sob on the planet to needing a new engine.
replace your radiator and see if any problems show up.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:27 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

if you never warped the heads it just got hot and quit ,usually doesn't hurt anything, or at least to where you can't run it any more.
Old 08-03-2002, 12:00 AM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92RS 25th Anniv./88 IROC Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TBI w/Tpi Air / 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4/700r4
Axle/Gears: Posi
Since you are replacing the radiator replace the thermo. Go with a 160 if you don't plan to do a lot of winter cold weather driving. Also check to make sure your fan motor is working. Put in a temp guage if you don't have one so you can monitor the situation. These 3rd gens heat up a lot if not monitored. There is a reason your engine overheated and replacing the radiator may not be the only solution to that problem. good luck.
Old 08-03-2002, 12:46 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '94 Corvette
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 4L60E
Thermo Expansion sounds like the cause of the knocking, etc.
The white smoke(ouch) sounds like Unequal thermo expansion between the heads, & the block (like 'ede' said not to bad with iron heads, but death with aluminum heads).
Time will tell with the head gasket?

I don't know about them bearings. They may have gotten glazed, and time will tell if or when they spin?

Good luck, but I will tell you that you've probably shorten the lift of the motor at the very least.

Ron
Old 08-03-2002, 04:01 AM
Supreme Member

well ill tell you one thing sure the hell found out why it was over heating, 80% of the radiator was coverd in mud, hair, leaves, everything, so water couldnt cool, mechanic came over today, update::: got a used radiator with gurantee, got new over flow tank, and already had a new thermo 160 put in, idled it for as long as we could with out the radiator on, it was cracked, but it was fine, except he told me ive had an exhaust leak for a while and it goes away when engine gets hot , but it was knocking real hard when i had to move it out of driveway, dunno if it was from nothing connected and transmission line and every line goin to radiator plugged up, but well find out tommorrow once that radiator is on, ive got tons of pics to upload once i find a place to host them, ill post pics of old radiator how dirty my engine bay is, stuff like that,
Old 08-03-2002, 09:46 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 355
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73:1
There is a good chance you blew your head gasket when you overheated it. The bearings MIGHT be ok, but I wouldn't stress them anymore then you have to. If the head gasket is blown, check your heads for cracks when you have them off and get them shaved slightly (in case they warped).
Old 08-04-2002, 12:40 AM
Supreme Member

well im pissed off right now, spend the whole day on the camaro again, i bought brand new hoses, clamps, radiator, n ****, so we put the new radiator on, oh yah and a new over flow tank, and put it all on, add the coolant and water, the radiator i bought was from a junk yard, but they clean it check it n **** and its 100 day gurantee, well guess what? theres a small leak where the right tank and core connect the plastic n **** to the metal, it gives out drops at a time but slowly puts it all out, im gonna go bitch him out get my money back, so any ways well know how good my engine is, and mechanic said that knocking i heard was the exhaust leak,
Old 08-04-2002, 01:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Car: 1988 Firebird S/E
Engine: 406Ci Vortec SBC
Transmission: TH-350/3500stall
Axle/Gears: 7.5" Auburn 4.10 Posi-Traction
Buy a NEW radiator. The cheap auto parts store ones
with the plastic side tanks are fine. Change the oil and filter BEFORE you run the motor any more. If you got the motor that f******g hot,, the oil is finished. Be a good idea to change the trans fluid too. Over heated trans fluid is the main cause of trans failures.
Old 08-04-2002, 02:02 AM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92RS 25th Anniv./88 IROC Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TBI w/Tpi Air / 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4/700r4
Axle/Gears: Posi
Real good advice F-Bird88. It cost a few more pennies to go 1st class than to fly in coach even tho both sections arrive at the same time.

Next to the oil the radiator is the part of these F bodies that if they are not right you will be buying a new motor. Don't skimp on this (radiator) detail.

I too made the same mistake as you and bought a used reconditioned radiator, put it in myself. I still ended up with a new one in my car that has been running 3 years straight. The used one lasted 3 months.

Lesson learned.

Old 08-04-2002, 05:07 AM
Supreme Member

well tranny fluid all leaked out on my garage floor from running the motor and forgetting to put a golf tee in the line to plug it up.... so thats all gonna be replaced, oil is fine its just a little worn out like i said its the racing oil meant for that **** lol , but that radiator is bs where the plastic tank is cracked and they cleaned and checked the radiator too before they put it in storage for sales n stuff... ima call junk yards im gonna demmand 30 bucks for labor from my mechanic and 10 for new antifreeze so i can get a brand new one, i paid 135 it was from a 91 or 92 camaro though.
Old 08-04-2002, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by porkyzilla
oil is fine its just a little worn out like i said its the racing oil meant for that **** lol ,
no, it's not alright. it needs to be replaced. it's shot. NO oil is meant to be taken to 260'. sorry to tell you. my dad has been working with mobil oil for 34 years. i've learned a lot from him. and i know that at that kind of heat, certain properties of the oil start to breakdown. basically, it becomes ****. i don't care what you're mechanic said. there are a lot of mechanics that don't know everything out there. (i work with a bunch of them) just replace the oil, and completely wipe out that problem. just my .02