Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Twin Turbo 383

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Corvette
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R4
Twin Turbo 383

im thinking of building this over the next couple years for a dragstrip/on the street sometimes car. ill be doing this in a 1983 camaro because pre 84 cars are exempt from emissions laws here in massachussetts.

i did a search. found alot of crap but also found alot of good info.
with all the hassles of fabbing the headers etc
i have already thought about it and if i plan to go tt on the 383 then i have already decided it'd be worth it for me.
there were alot of posts about chrysler turbos from various v6 engines you could use. i know that thru the late 80s very early 90s the 2.5l caravans had turbos. there are a ****load of them around here that i can get the turbo parts for basically nothing. what i wanted to know is if those turbos are usable. and if so what CR should i look for when building the motor?
i hear 8:1 is good for superchargers. would it be best to do 8:1 for the turbos or could you bump yourself upwards between 8.5:1 to 9:1?

and what is a safe amount of boost with all this, because the last thing i wanna do is ruin the motor or possibly hurt myself.
the car is for me to have fun with and do something different with. the car will probably take me a year or 2 to finish completly so money isnt the big issue here. i wanna get all the info together and see what i can do and start collecting the parts.
i already have a 350 thats gonna be going to the machinest soon to be prepped for the build.

does anyone recomend a better car to take the turbos from? i say the caravan because i could go out today and probably drive home a junked up one for 50 bucks to strip any needed parts from.

thanks in advance for any help. i'd really really like to do this and am looking at it from a realistic stand point. i know it will be a PITA and cost alot. but id really like to do it so any and all help and info is appreciated.