Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Confused on SLP CAI instructions, some help?

Old 02-26-2003, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L 350 V8 TPI
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Confused on SLP CAI instructions, some help?

OK, if anyone one of u have done the SLP CAI on a 87 GTA with the MAF setup, then this should be familiar.

They have a total of 19 steps in the instructions, which i think really sucks, and should be updated to include more details, and some damn pics!

Well anyways, on step 4 im confused as to what the hell its talking about and where its talking about:

"4. Locate an appropriate spot on the radiator bulkhead to mount the relay that was attached to the air cleaner/canister support tray"

Can someone tell me exactly what they saying, and if u had a pic to point to where its talking about, and what exactly is this damn relay they saying?

And step 6 is a bit confusing to:

"6. Place enclosed template over the hole in the fender well. Mark locations and drill with a 1/4" drill bit. Place body clips over top of the two holes"

So are they saying take the air box and just put by the fender, then drill, and screw it in, even though i cant picture how difficult thats gonna be?

Anyways can u guys help me out on those, and maybe i'll post some more later, cause i cant wait to get this stuff done.

Thanks, later.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
All I can say is start taking your old stuff off and start putting the SLP CAI in. If anything was attached to the stock inlet stuff then just find a place to put in on the new one. As for the template things, you have to mount the air filter box to the inside of the fender. The template is provided so you can find where to drill the holes. the body clips are what your gonna place over the hole so the screws have something to bolt to. I installed a dual CAI in my 91 and the 2 boxes where a PITA. Just put all the parts in place and see how it works out for you
Old 02-26-2003, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L 350 V8 TPI
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Ah, the whole thing just seems harder than it actually is. Im gonna go now and continue installing it. There is one cable thats on the passenger side that needs to go on the drivers side to hook up to the canister.

Its a cable that hooks up to this disk shape thing, and then another cable on the other side of this disk continues on down to the canister. I just need how to figure out how to route this stuff to the drivers side.

What about that relay stuff, what is it exactly asking for in step 4?