Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

How bad will I damage my motor driving with a blown cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2000, 06:57 PM
Trevor 91 Formula

How bad will I damage my motor driving with a blown cylinder?

ok I;m pretty sure I blew the rings in one cylinder in my engine and I still need to drive it for awhile. I am planning on getting a new motor so I'm not too worried about gouging the block beyond repair. But can anything else go wrong? I am going to disconnect the blower and reconnect the PCV since I get alot of smoke out of the holes.

I really don't think I blew out the top pf the piston. I mean thats pretty hard to do but the engine had 170,000 miles on it so I think the rings going out was more likely.

------------------
plates: BLWNWS6
L98 w/ATI ProCharger, 2 core intercooler, 9psi pully. Dynoed at 452 RWTQ
Pro-built Stage 3 700-R4 w/Continental 2200 stall TC.
C5 wheels and tires.
Me, my car and I
"Speed kills but it makes me feel alive" - White Zombie
Crazy street-racing idiot member of the All-Powerful Nor-Cal crew.
Old 07-26-2000, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With a blower it would certainly be possible to burn a hole through the top of a piston. You may have also cracked the piston letting compression blow through the piston. Do you get any weird metalic sounds from the engine, even under a hard load? If the engine runs halfway descent and doesn't make any funny noises I would continue to drive it. If the rings just collapsed on that one cylinder it will drive for quite some time like that. If they broke it is probably scarring the cylinder a little and eventually the piston will eat up. A PCV system is a good thing, reconnect it, and you will probably want to leave it connected. Definately ditch the blower, power is no longer a consideration. I drove a dead 305 with two blown cyliders for a few hundred miles. I drove a 350 with a crack piston/busted rings for a couple hundred miles. The cylinder walls didn't even have a scratch, but as the engine loaded it would start to make metallic noises. I drove that sucker like it had a 4cyl under the hood until I tore it down.
Old 07-26-2000, 11:57 PM
Trevor 91 Formula

Well the reason I had the PCV system disconnected is because you can't really run a PCV system under boost. But the funny thing was that I was getting a weird klacking noise at the track at idle but then it went away. Now I got smoke and still no sound. Go figure.
Old 07-27-2000, 01:06 AM

hey trevor, how do you join the norcal crew? im in livermore.

thanks

daniel
Old 07-27-2000, 04:56 PM

Hmm, have you checked out your valve train? Maybe you have killed a cam or burned out a valve. In which case it may be easier to provide a quick fix till you can rebuild the engine. Supercharging a 170k mile engine, that could almost be considered cruel and unusual punishment. You are in need of a new one anyways, but somehow they always seem to know when you are the poorest and blow right then. I wasn't thinking about the manifold being pressurized for the PCV system. You may want to pick up a small used vacuum pump to run your PCV system. I have tried running breathers on engines before but the PCV system just always worked much better for me.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Pepper (edited July 27, 2000).]
Old 07-27-2000, 08:56 PM

Car: Transformed 86 Coupe
Engine: 400 sbc
Transmission: 700R4
If you had pieces of piston or rings on top of the piston you could have had a piece get stuck under a valve holding it open. This would give you some serious noise coming from the valve train.
Old 07-27-2000, 11:40 PM
Trevor 91 Formula

There is no excessive noise coming from my motor. There was, but not now. I think whatever damage was done is done and its not getting any worse. I'm going to attempt to drive the car to work tommorrow.