Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Possible broken smog pump..

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible broken smog pump..

I failed emissions, but that was because I had removed my smog pump because it spun a bearing and from time to time it'd rattle and seize the motor at idle.

Now it's time to give passing emissions a test again. I passed everythign except NOx. I was twice the legal limit. Now...I'm going to put the smog pump back on with the original belt....I ran the test originally with my motor only alittle over 120 degrees. Should I let it warm up to about 200/220 and then have the guy put it on the machines??? The smog pump might not function right and I'm just hoping and praying as I've seen people mention running it warm/hot helps greatly.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:20 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah i would of let the engine sit and warm up as far as it would go before taking the test.
Old 05-31-2003, 04:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: currently thirdgenless!!!
I think the "smog pump" as you call it is acutally the "air pump". If I understand correctly how this works it delivers warm air to the converter so the converter will heat up faster and burn off any hydrocarbons faster after start up. Once your converter comes up to operating temperature the air pump is of no use. So if you go to the emissions place with the car fully warmed up, you sould be able to pass even if your air pump is not working correctly.

Some one correct me if I am wrong on this.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:53 PM

Car: 85 Trans Am
Engine: SBC
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Moser/Strange 9"
i beleive the smog or air pump is needed to supply oxygen to to the cat. in order for the chemical reaction to take place that reduces your emissions.