Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Chev/Pont...wazz the diff??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2001, 06:00 PM
Skip Howard

Chev/Pont...wazz the diff??

I've seen references to a chevy 350 and pontiac 350. What's the difference???

------------------
85T/A 305/QJ work in progress.
Old 02-21-2001, 06:13 PM

Ummmmmm... probably the carbs are similar. Maybe lifters too. Thats about it, the rest is entirely different. Pontiac doesnt have big blocks per-se, so the 350 is essentially the same as the larger pontiac engines, meaning its heavy. People usually run the 455, but sometimes the 400. The Pontiac 350 is rarely used, saved for those numbers matching resto jobs.
Offhand, I dont know the bore and stroke. I probably should but heh.. been a while since I looked.
Old 02-21-2001, 06:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
The manufacturer.

Seriously, there is essentially nothing that interchanges between the 2. Distributor cap, spark plugs in some years, and not much else. Externally they are different: motor mounts, trans bolt pattern, crank bolt pattern, etc. are all different.

For many years Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, and Olds all produced 350s. In fact, they also all produced 400s at various times too. GM finally eliminated this wasteful practice in the 80s and standardized on the Chevy motor. The other mfrs' motors were perfectly good products; but every one of them is heavier, has more parts, and costs more to make than the Chevrolet. However none of them, inch for inch, runs any better, produces more power, has lower emissions, or gets better gas mileage than the Chevy. So it's no surprise that after the scandal in the 80s - where somebody sued GM when they discovered that their Olds had a Chevy motor in it, and GM's response was that they couldn't put an Olds motor in the Olds becasue they had used them all up in Cadillacs - they started dropping the other "competetive" designs. It is also cheaper to make one thing across the board than 4 different ones that all do the same thing.

------------------
"So many Mustangs, so little time..."
ICON Motorsports
Old 02-21-2001, 06:20 PM
Skip Howard

Great info guys,thanks. I thought I might have to worry about that but obviously not!

------------------
85T/A 305/QJ work in progress.