Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2001, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help

I have an '88 Camaro w/ TBI. The problem is that occasionally when stopping and the car comes to rest at idle the car will die. It easily starts back up but it is a problem and I do not want to get stranded somewhere. Anyone had any experience w/ a similar problem or have any suggestions? Only modifcations are open element air filter and headers/flowmaster. Please help!!

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-25-2001, 09:34 PM

I used to have a similar problem... I've got an 89 IROC tbi.

I replaced the fuel filter, and that seemed to make the problem go away. Mine looked like it was the factory fuel filter.

I had other symptoms than what you described, and they went away as well. They include...

Hard starting randomly. The engine would turn over, then die. This would repeat several times while the engine tried to find an idle speed.

Major bogging down at full throttle.

There were some others but I can't think of them now.

Even if that doesn't fix it, changing your fuel filter isn't a bad idea if it's old anyways. If you can't remember when it was last changed, then it's time. heh

Other things to consider...

When was the last time you checked/adjusted/cleaned your IAC and TPS? These could cause the problems you're having as well. I would go into them more, but there's technical articles on how to check/adjust/clean.

I will say though, that the IAC (I think that stands for Idle Air Control) controls how much air is let into the engine at idle. (It's what the computer uses to set the idle rpm's.) The TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) tells the computer what you're trying to do to the engine. These aren't too hard to get out of adjustment, especially with a 13 year old car.

Sorry if I insulted your intelligence any.

------------------
89 iroc-z 305 tbi
k&n filtercharger, open element air filter. nuffin' else
Old 05-26-2001, 09:59 PM

Sometimes that is caused by either the ignition module or the pickup coil.
I would try the fuel filter first.
Old 05-26-2001, 11:44 PM

Thanks

I was trying to think of where to start first thanks for the tips!!