Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Help! Stuck in park. Shift knob moves with no resistance, and does not shift gears.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Stuck in park. Shift **** moves with no resistance, and does not shift gears.

Ok, here's the deal:

My trans mounts are going bad, so I have an appointment for tomorrow to get them fixed. As my luck would have it, I went out to drive my car today and it starts right up fine, but when you move the shift **** it moves freely(if you hold the button in) with absolutely no resistance whatsoever on it (as if it isn't actually attached to anything anymore.

The car is stuck in park now, and before I go pull the driveshaft or something to get it out of the garage, I was hoping someone here might be able to tell me how to fix the problem.

Upon observation of my garage floor there are two small black bolts on the ground, one of which was directly underneath my transmission. These could be your typical stray garage floor bolts, but I am really pretty sure that they were not there before this started. My mind tells me that these little black bolts were loosened by the motion of my tranny thanks to the bad trans mounts, the final one falling out when I parked my car. Does this sound like something that would happen? What might these bolts attach to that would cause my shift **** to move freely as if not attach to anything.

Any info would be very much appreciated! Thanks for your input. =)
Old 04-10-2005, 07:10 PM

Car: 88GTAnotchbac/91 -Z/66 Chevelle
Engine: All strokers
Transmission: Pro built 700r4's
Your shifter cable is broken. It is connected to the shifter arm extending out from your your trans next to your pan and it connects under neath your console to the shifter.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:28 PM

thanks =)

Many thanks! I'll check that right now.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:07 PM

Car: 88GTAnotchbac/91 -Z/66 Chevelle
Engine: All strokers
Transmission: Pro built 700r4's
All you need to do is get your car up on ramps, have some one shift the shifter back and forth and you can see where its broke.
When you install the new one make sure that the cable end that bolts to the transmission is bolted right back in the same place in the slot that its removed from. Mark it with a marker when you remove it or your trans linkage will be a lil out of whac.

Rob