Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Sequential Port Injection

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am, 89 RX7
Engine: 350tpi,350carb
Transmission: T-5,t56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi,4.11 posi
Sequential Port Injection

I searched this and couldnt really find exactly what I wanted, so I made a new post. I'm wondering if there is anyway to build up a sequential port injection mass flow system from a TPI group firing mass flow system. If so, what would I need. I know some people are gonna say just buy one already made or swap a ford 5.0 in, but I'd like to know if this system can be made for a price under a few hundred bucks.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,712 Likes on 1,302 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Sure you can; people do it all the time.

All you need is an ECM with 8 injector drivers, and a wiring harness to each injector individually, and some form of cam position sensor so the ECM knows which cylinder it's on at any given moment.

There are several complete aftermarket systems that do just that. Accel DFI, FAST, Big Stuff, etc. etc. etc. MSD, Mallory, & Accel all make distributors that will supply the required signals.

As far as "under a few hundred bucks", well I guess that depends on your definition of a "few". It costs what it costs. Whatever you can do yourself, might reduce the total cost. So if you can build your own "dual sync" distributor, go for it. If you can build the harness, do that. If you can adapt some other SFI ECM to your car, try it. And so forth.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:40 AM

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
You can try a mid-90s GM truck PCM. The Vortec engines had poppet injectors, but there were still eight of them, with individual drivers, wiring, etcetera. There will also have to be a cam position sensor and crank position sensor. AFAIK, all the SFI setups used a CKP or CMP, or both. Even the early Buick V-6s.