Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

power steering pulley/ 1 or 2 "V" groove?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power steering pulley/ 1 or 2 "V" groove?

I have an 85 iroc with a tpi setup. I put in a 383 stroker and never put the AC back in and will in the future. I need a power steering pump and pulley and when I look closer I do believe I do not need a power steering pulley with two "v" belt grooves, which is the pulley I have now. I thought the Ac compressor ran off of the 2nd groove, but under closer look I believe it does not. I believe the AC compressor runs off of the water pump or main crank, I have to go look again to be sure. Anyone know why my power steering pulley has two grooves and if I can go with a pulley with one groove for the power steering pump. Thanks for the help. F-bomb.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 95 E-150 & 07 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Engine: A slow one & a fast one
Transmission: A bad one & a good one
Axle/Gears: A weak one & a chained one
Originally Posted by F-BOMB
I have an 85 iroc with a tpi setup. I put in a 383 stroker and never put the AC back in and will in the future. I need a power steering pump and pulley and when I look closer I do believe I do not need a power steering pulley with two "v" belt grooves, which is the pulley I have now. I thought the Ac compressor ran off of the 2nd groove, but under closer look I believe it does not. I believe the AC compressor runs off of the water pump or main crank, I have to go look again to be sure. Anyone know why my power steering pulley has two grooves and if I can go with a pulley with one groove for the power steering pump. Thanks for the help. F-bomb.
I haven't seen the setup so I cant say for sure, but I can tell you it's pretty rare for the A/C to run off the main belt on a multi-belt setup. I think it's far more likely that the A/C will run with that second belt that runs the P/S.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:52 PM

I'm mistaken, the AC compressor belt runs off of the water pump pulley. I still don't know Why the power steering pulley has two "v" grooves, and if I need both.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 95 E-150 & 07 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Engine: A slow one & a fast one
Transmission: A bad one & a good one
Axle/Gears: A weak one & a chained one
Smog?
Old 08-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
The innermost groove on the PSP pulley should have a short belt that goes only to the innermost groove of the crank pulley. Although, some WP pulleys have a 3rd groove that lines up with this one, and the PS belt goes over the WP as well. But I think that had been entirely discontinued by the early 80s.

The 2nd groove of the crank pulley is for the AC. This belt also rests in the outer groove of the PSP pulley.

The 3rd groove of the carnk pulley is for the WP & alt.

There is an additional groove on the WP pulley that drives the AIR pump.

Put the PSP belt on first, then the AC belt with th ePSP still loose. Then tighten up the PSP belt WITHOUT PRYING ON THE RESERVOIR. Then tighten up the AC belt. Then put on the WP/alt belt and tighten it, then put on the AIR pump belt.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
What Sofa said. That's exactly right.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:28 PM

Thanks a lot Sofakingdom, I did not realize that the ac belt rests in the outer groove of the psp pulley. Thanks for the order of belt assembly. Later