Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

coolant

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolant

This is what I got at the store. Is this ok for my 86 IROC? Its the third one down. GM Dex-Cool. The store I went to had almost nothing as far as coolant goes. I hope I got the right one.

http://www.prestone.com/products/antifreezeCoolant.php

Also, even if that is ok, is there a better produce I should use in the future/

Thanks!
chris
Old 12-10-2006, 05:53 PM

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
If your car has green coolant in it, don't mix a long life antifreeze like Dexcool in it. There's nothing wrong with Dexcool but it's a low silicate antifreeze. There's a few different long life AF available. Caterpillar, Texaco and a couple more. Ethelyn Glycol and low silicate antifreeze are not designed to be mixed.

To convert your car to use Dexcool, you need to do a complete system flush to remove all the old green antifreeze. That means draining the block and heater core. Just draining the rad doesn't get all the antifreeze out of the system. Once it's all drained, refill with a Dexcool mix.

Green antifreeze reacts with the dis-similar metals in the cooling system and starts to oxidize. That's the white sulfate you normally see inside the rads. If you read the owner's manual, antifreeze is supposed to be replaced every 2 years to keep this from happening. The long life antifreeze is good for 5 years.

If your car already uses the orange colored Dexcool in it, using any other brand of Dexcool is fine.

Too many antifreeze colors now. Green, red, orange, blue and purple.