Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

hard starting and smell of fuel out exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 formula 350
Engine: 5.7L (L98)
Transmission: 700R4-(shift kit,corvette servo)
Axle/Gears: borge warner-3.27
hard starting and smell of fuel out exhaust

I drove to the T/A Nationals Friday and everything was fine. The car ran great and did good. I drove to the show on Saturday and parked the car for registration and then came back out and the car took forever to start and once it finally did it ran very rough for about a minute untill it cleared itself out. The car seemed to have a miss to it at idle however runs great at highway speeds. The car since is now harder to start after sitting a little bit and smell fuel out the exhaust. I was wondering if the injectors could be leaking down possibly or if there could be a problem elsewhere, The ignition is new with all MSD components and NGK plugs. I REALLY need help on this. Any help would be worth its weight in gold. By the way, the injectors are o.e..
Old 08-27-2007, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 formula 350
Engine: 5.7L (L98)
Transmission: 700R4-(shift kit,corvette servo)
Axle/Gears: borge warner-3.27
Re: hard starting and smell of fuel out exhaust

today I purchased a fuel guage and wanted to check my pressure. When doing this I noticed while looking in the throttle body that ther was gas sitting inside the plenum. I grabbed a light and double checked. A small pool of gas sitting in there. I was wondering if the fpr was probably bad. That is the only thing that I see that is vaccuum ported to the plenum. Could this cause a real rich condition? Any help would be great.