Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

STEERING FULL LOCK JUDDER

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STEERING FULL LOCK JUDDER

Hi all. I have a 1988 iroc z which judders at full lock as if the wheels are skipping? Very annoying and is wearing my tires fast. Also there is a squeak when i turn my steering wheel from the center? could this be some sort of steering linkage? Any help would be good. Thanks
Old 02-04-2009, 05:49 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Re: STEERING FULL LOCK JUDDER

Originally Posted by RAYVIATOR
Hi all. I have a 1988 iroc z which judders at full lock as if the wheels are skipping? Very annoying and is wearing my tires fast.
Typically our car don't like the above and they attempt to push forward as they turn--perhaps that's why the car seems to rise. Moreover, big tires added to the above often are responsible for tearing the steering box area (a Wonderbar will help to protect). At any rate, fairly normal at full lock, I think. Since you already have a Wonderbar, you're probably good; however, note the following from How to Tune and Modify your 1982-1998 Camaro by Jason Scott:

"The problem stems from high forces transmitted from the steering box to the chassis, especially under low-speed cornering, such as when maneuvering around a shopping mall parking lot. Fat performance tires present a great deal of resistance at low speeds, which imparts considerable stress into the steering system, and ultimately attempts to rip the steering box from its mounting surface--especially during "full-lock" turns, where steering torque is greatest. Over time, these forces weaken the chassis surface around the steering box and can result in torn metal.

"Whether the chassis is weakened or torn at the steering box, the result is the same--steering actions are delayed while the chassis flexes, leading to unresponsive and erratic steering. Ironically, though the damage stems from low-speed steering, the resulting problem is far more serious at high speeds than low ones.

"It is possible to repair the damaged area, though the best solution is to avoid the problem in the first place by installing a brace that reinforces the steering box mounting area."

At any rate, I try to avoid full lock.

JamesC

Last edited by JamesC; 12-06-2009 at 05:52 PM.