Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Devistating backfire, blew up my superram

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Tojan
Engine: ZZ4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9", 3.50
Devistating backfire, blew up my superram

I had a bad back fire yesterday while starting the car. It popped the lid on my superram and popped part of the pizza box off the runners. I'm going to need to do some welding or use some thread inserts providing things aren't warped.
I'm been having problems with the car running right. I've just got it going after installing Accel DFI. I don't know crap about tweaking the software yet but the car has been plausibly running. I had it out around the neighborhood last week and it ran, but felt like I kept losing power. I had to put the clutch in to stop it from stalling a few times. The headers were offly hot when I got back. They had a slight glow at the collector. I guess it's running a bit lean.
Yesterday I just went to move the car in the driveway and it blew on start up. I know what cylinder it was because there is a nice blast mark on the superram lid. So the question is what the hell caused this? Could my timing be that far off that it fired with the intake valve open? I'm really surprised, and quite a bit upset. Do I need to work about possible damage to the lower end? I really hate to need to pull the heads off, but I will if it's necessary.