Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

383 vs. 400

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
383 vs. 400

I recently decided that I wanted to make some power upgrades to my 400 sb. So, I purchased some 195 cc afr eliminator street heads, a new lunati cam and lifter kit, hydraulic rollers, a 750 edebrock carb, and other small miscelaneous things.

Being very inexperienced with engine building, I never thought about what this might do to the stock bottom end of my 400. Once someone on this thread brought that to my attention, I started looking around for kits to replace my pistons, rods, and crankshaft. A forged kit for a 400 runs about $1900 from eagle. Ok, that isnt terrible. Then i got to thinking what if my block is bad?

Through much delberation i have decided that i just want to get an assembled shortblock. My goal is to get a very stout block in which the components are specd for much more power then i am going to be making. I want this engine to last a really really really long time. I figure if i put 450hp behind parts that are rated for 700hp, that shoud be a reaistic goal.
So, i figure that i need to get an engine that willl work with the components I recenty purchased, most of alll my afr 195cc heads.
I think the heads will be to large for a 350, but woud be perfect for anything from a 383-406. Here is an exampe of what i am looking at.

http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/produ...Qty=1&=&OGroup=&=&=&=

I woud get something llike that in the litte m block.
So, here is the question, what size bock shoud i get for a *** kicking, extremely bulletproof, rice burner eating car?
This is most likely the one and only time i will do something like this in my life. I want to do it right with no regrets.
Also, any help as to where to purchase something like this would be cool to.
THANKS!
Old 05-02-2009, 11:38 PM

Car: 87 Berlinetta,work in progress
Engine: 468 BB,still in the build process
Transmission: TH350,3500 stall
Axle/Gears: 9" Ford,learning how to live under
Re: 383 vs. 400

If your looking at a little m block,buy all the cubic inches you can afford,and stack the best heads you can afford on top of it.Little M's are expensive,but if your going over 383 cubes,they are the only smart way to do it.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:13 AM

Car: 1982 4cyl 4spd/ 1980 z28
Re: 383 vs. 400

brother...

With your setup, your stock block is all you will ever need. I would think

that the most possible horsepower you could ever make with those 195's

would be well under 600, and your stock block, if well prepared would

handle every bit of it.

Aftermarket blocks are very expensive, and in my opinion not necessary

unless you are spraying the cheese out of it, or building a big (421''+)

stroker motor. Even the "budget" dart SHP blocks are still $1500.

IMO your money is better spent on other parts. Just my .02