Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 6.2 LS3
Transmission: MN12 T56 GTO
Axle/Gears: 3.73
help!!!

car: 1989 iroc-z 5.7

problem started: after i washed the engine with the engine degresser stuff (dont know if it cause the problem or help it or not)

ok the car has a bad idle when it sits the idle rocks down and up...take it up to the 1000rpm the idle dont rockas much just a little. i took it to a local shop and they can not find the problem either. so far what theay replaced is they put the stock prom backin the car. it had a perfromance chip in it that i didnt know about(jet chip) the check/change the distribitor and that was not it. the coil was bad so i replaced it (was a msd coil and replaced it with another pn #8226). that help but not it. fuel injectors are replaced had 3 bad ones. the vacuum gauge seems to rock up and down with the rpm gauge.. the say i have no vacuum but i have compression.. it start cold here and there but will start cold right away with ether... when gets warm it seem to be better but not great. the checked electrical and sensors.. i have fuel, spark and a crank signal.. that the motor (cause of the vacuum is not so good) will need to be replaced....any suggestions would be great and if i think of any thing else i let u guys know...
Old 08-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A, 83 Z/28
Engine: 5.0 TPI, 350 2 X 4 bbl
Transmission: 4 speed auto, 5 speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi, 3.73 std
Re: help!!!

Well maby im just miss understanding what your saying but a few things dont add up here... For starters the vacuum issue is whats really got me confused. The vacuum gauge reading fluctuates with idle which i would expect but then you say the shaop says you have no vacuum but you have compression? There telling you to replace the motor because you have no vacuum? How could the can run if there was no vacuum? Also seeing as how this all started after degreasing the motor i think its much more likely that something happened then to a sensor or a wiring connection rather than all this is caused by your "bad motor." First thing i would inspect is your EGR valve as i find that the EGR system is the number one cause of a surging idle.