Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Black hoses coming out of gas canister

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black hoses coming out of gas canister

Hey gang - 88 GTA Fuel Inj. The black fuel canister in the passenger's side of the engine bay has a handful of black rubber hoses coming out of it, most of which are completely deteriorated (I can run my hand on them and they flake apart). Of the ones I'm thinking about changing out, I noticed two go into the engine itself and one connects to the metal fuel line. So I've got three main questions:

a) For the ones that go into the engine, I'm assuming they just recycle the emissions, so I would imagine I can just pull them right off and replace with new regular everyday rubber vacuum hoses, correct?

b) For the one that connects to the metal gas line, is there anything special to this or can I just pull that one off as well? Thinking maybe I have to relieve the pressure in the lines somehow.

c) For ALL hoses, would I just go to an AutoZone and ask for "rubber vacuum hoses" of the same size, or are there special types of hoses that are made for this 'gasoline' transfer. (I'm mainly concerned about the one connected to the metal line).

THANKS GANG!
Old 01-02-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
Re: Black hoses coming out of gas canister

You can replace all the hoses with fuel line or emissions hose of the same size. Most of them are 3/8", IIRC.