Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

accessory brackets

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 355
Transmission: TH-700r4
accessory brackets

Hey guys i was wondering if anybody knows where to find some cheap accessory brackets that have spots for only the power steering pump, alternator, and some sort of tensioner. I took the smog pump and ac off but i still have the brackets that came on the engine (engine is from a 89 pickup, serpentine setup). It looks extremely ugly since the left side has two open spots but i need it on there because the tensioner is on that bracket. All i can find are $700-1000 and up chrome brackets online. I just want some cheap brackets that i can just paint or something, not looking for expensive show ones. Anyone know where i can find some? (new or used)
Old 05-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: accessory brackets

I used a Mr Gasket chrome alternator bracket on the pass side - connects to water pump and intake, cost $30 on the shelf at autozone. This assumes your alternator has the holes at 6oclock and 12 oclock. http://www.mr-gasket.com/ProductDeta...minselection=0

I used a standard rotation water pump, the serp system uses a reverse rotation pumpm so if your getting rid of the serp system then you'll need a standard rotation pump - kist pick a pump from a pre serp car (like a 1987 camaro 5.7l) - about $45. I also grabbed a water pump pulley from local JY for $10 that had groove for v-belt and serp belt - explained below.

The ONLY thing I found to work for power steering was the March bracket - they have it available individually for $105 at summit, part # MCH-20165. You might (depending on the style p/s pump you have) have to get a different p/s pump for it, but a new reman pump with resevoir is only $55 autozone - you'll have to have the March bracket in hand to get the right p/s pump - there are subtle differences between years on the p/s pumps, and you have to have the right holes in the right locations to make the March bracket work, then it takes alot of patience to get it adjusted just right using washers as spacers - but after 3 different p/s pump brackets I tried, the March was the only one that worked. I'll tell ya - they claim to have put a man on the moon, but I have a hard time believing it when no one besides March can seem to make a P/S pump bracket that works.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MCH-20165/

I then grabbed a balancer pulley from the local JY for $10 that had provision for serp belt and v-belt. So, my serp belt runs from balancer to water pump to alternator, and the v-belt runs from balancer to water pump to p/s pump.

Total cost was about $250 for me, because I had to replace alt, p/s pump, and water pump when I did this - you may already have the right p/s pump and/or alternator.

It makes a nice setup, easy AND clean. I think there's a pic here - if not PM me and I'll send ya some: http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/l...=cleanbay1.jpg

Last edited by camaronewbie; 05-23-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 355
Transmission: TH-700r4

Well id like to keep my water pump/alt/power steering pump. All are from a 89 1500 chevy truck. I cant remember if the alt has holes at 6 and 12 ill have to check when I get back to the car(car is still in storage at my parents). Did they make some kind of ac delete bracket or pulley? Right now the serp belt is running on the tensioner but its riding on the wrong side because theres no pulley on that bracket besides the tensioner. If they had some kind of pulley that could mount in place of the ac thatd work too.

With that alt bracket that you used, where is the tensioner located?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

There is no tensioner - the alternator slides in the bracket - same with the p/s pump, it slides for adjustment.

There's a delete pulley for the F-body serp bracket, not sure if it's the same for the truck setup, I've never looked at the truck setup. Napa has the delete pulleys for the F-body setup for about $39.