Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Hesitation Problem 1992 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hesitation Problem 1992 Camaro

1992 Camaro RS (3.1L V6 MPI OHV 12), 168,000+ miles. Hesitates, acts like it dies out but kicks in again, sometimes will hesitate and start to die, check engine light flickers then goes out and car keeps running (but no codes show up). Sometimes giving it gas you're not sure if it will respond or act like it wants to die. All kinds of wires have been replaced, distributor was corroded and replaced, fuel filter replaced, plugs are in great condition, no one has an answer as it doesn't do it all the time...no rhyme or reason, sometimes smell gas, last oil change there was gas on the filter, they put in injector cleaner. Last mechanic said the timing was bad and all that should be replaced (cover, waterpump, etc.), but no guarantee that would solve the problem (and was told if it was the timing it would be happening all the time). No one has an answer, just guesses. Any help? Thanks. -rc
Old 06-20-2010, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Camaro z-28
Engine: 307
Transmission: th-350 with stage 2 shift kit
Axle/Gears: stock
Re: Hesitation Problem 1992 Camaro

I'm just going to through this out there but my 89 RS 2.8 had a bad Mass air flow senor it would do what your saying. I went to o reaily bought a remanufacture that one went out in 2 weeks and the second one works fine no hesitation at all.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 rs black
Engine: 305 v8 tbi
Transmission: 700r4 stock
Re: Hesitation Problem 1992 Camaro

Originally Posted by ymenic
I'm just going to through this out there but my 89 RS 2.8 had a bad Mass air flow senor it would do what your saying. I went to o reaily bought a remanufacture that one went out in 2 weeks and the second one works fine no hesitation at all.
Got roughly same prob I put new temp control sensor in it was telling the computer that the temp outside was -24 F and gassing plugs. changed plugs and it fired up runs like a beast as long as I am at idle or if I press pedal down a 1/4in any more than that esp. about half throttle I have a total loss of power. the tranny has been changed, the fuel filter has been changed. and I hear a banging in the rear end when I try to hit it that sounds like the power is trying to go thru the drivetrain for a split second and then stops or can't. We changed the u-joints and it still does it. IDK what the problem is. I did fire it up at night5 and did see the plug wires arch some so I am going to try some new wires. If that doesn't do it I have no choice but to take it to advance auto to see what codes it might have. the check engine light comes on when it starts to hesitate then goes off when it goes back to normal idle. 89 rs 305 tbi 700r4. i kow pretty good mech. but if I take it to him I know that for total tune and finding the prob we're looking at $500+

Last edited by rs owner; 06-21-2010 at 12:27 PM.