Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Won't Rev Past 3000 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't Rev Past 3000 RPM

Completely factory 1992 RS Camaro with a 305ci TBI. Automatic Tranny, 60,000 miles on body/drivetrain. Car is clean as can be, and its a shame not to have it on the road. Give me a hand here!

When the vehicle is in park/neutral it will not rev past 3000rpm, it's almost as if there is a rev limiter.

I have had this vehicle parked for the last two years due to not needing it for transportation.

I made the mistake of starting it on the 1-2 gallons of gas that had been in the tank, not sure if this is the issue or not.

I have drained as much from the tank as I could through the fuel lines, and replaced the fuel filter. The injectors are spraying good. I put about 4 gallons of fresh gas in it (didn't want to over-do it in case I had to drop the tank). Air filter is not an issue, spark plugs look good. I'm stumped. Could there have possibly been enough junk left in the bottom of the tank after siphoning to replug the filter? Thought there could be so I took the filter off and inspected it, shook it out, and car revved to 5,500. Yay! Right? Wrong. Went right back to my 3000RPM rev limit 5 minutes later.

When the vehicle is in gear, if you give it some gas, it goes nowhere real fast, if it doesn't just try to die on you.

The vehicle has died on me at idle, and while moving, but that was prior to the fuel filter change. Perhaps I have more than one problem here? I really don't have the money to take it to a shop. I am mechanically inclined, but not a pro.

Anybody want to take a guess at this one?

(EDIT: By the way, the car idles like a champ!)
(EDIT: Video of car at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te9AH2DgqXs )

Last edited by Hydra_Shock; 06-23-2010 at 10:13 AM.