Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fuel tank problem... runs out at half a tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel tank problem... runs out at half a tank

I've got a 89 Iroc that I just ended up with today has a problem with the fuel tank. The gas hand shows full all the time. Well it ran out in the driveway so I got a gallon of fuel and poured in it and then drove next door to the gas station (convenient right lol) and the car only held 6 gallons I added until it ran out the top. Well I pull back over to my house and they're probably a 4 x 4 foot puddle of fuel under the car. What would cause this? I just don't understand the running out of fuel at half a tank. Thanks
Old 02-18-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Fuel tank problem... runs out at half a tank

Could be a faulty sending unit...had the same issue in my TA, replaced the sending unit anf fuel pump and its now okay
Old 02-18-2012, 04:22 PM

So it caused the car to run out of gas at half a tank?
Old 02-18-2012, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your fuel gauge is reading wrong then it could be a sending unit issue
Old 02-20-2012, 12:43 AM

Well I figured out my problem. The failing to start wasn't actually the fuel. The gas hand doesn't work but when the car failed to start back I started it a few times one right after another. The coil was actually the problem. Thats why it started after I put gas in it. It had 15 minutes to cool down. It did this to me again after being moved very short distances ( in a garage with the door shut). I checked to see if I had spark to the number 1 plug and didn't. I then took off the coil wire and still nothing. Waited 5 minutes and it fired up. I guess constantly firing and stopping caused it to get hot and stop working. The car also had a pulsating idle. Like from 550 to 700 it seems to have stopped now. I still have a tank/gauge issue but it wasn't what kept it from running. Thanks guys.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Camaro RS--
Engine: MPFI
Transmission: 700r4

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I've got a 89 Iroc that I just ended up with today has a problem with the fuel tank. The gas hand shows full all the time. Well it ran out in the driveway so I got a gallon of fuel and poured in it and then drove next door to the gas station (convenient right lol) and the car only held 6 gallons I added until it ran out the top. Well I pull back over to my house and they're probably a 4 x 4 foot puddle of fuel under the car. What would cause this? I just don't understand the running out of fuel at half a tank. Thanks
I have a question you said gas was on to the ground, where was it coming from? The gas nozzle hole?
Old 02-20-2012, 01:01 AM

I'm not sure. I filled the car up until it ran out the neck and pulled it less than 150 feet to my house. The leak is more toward the driver side so its possible that it pushed back through the fill hole.